Water came out of her mouth

This morning when I went in the coop one hen was in the corner looking like she’s not feeling well, I picked her up and a lot of water came out her beak , so I massaged her crop, I think it feels empty but then a ton more water came out, she’s an older hen, maybe 4 years old.
I separated her and took food and water away as I read if it’s sour crop that’s what you do. Please any advice??
Just want to say:
Some people do take food away initially when treating sour crop, though there are different methods that don't do this.
But don't take that advice until you're actually certain of the diagnosis, and never take water away.
Also be careful when massaging the crop, as if you put pressure on it in the wrong way, that can cause them to bring more liquid up which isnt good.

You've got some experts on this thread who are offering amazing advice, just wanted to hop on and mention this.
Hope your hen feels better ASAP.

Just want to say:
Some people do take food away initially when treating sour crop, though there are different methods that don't do this.
But don't take that advice until you're actually certain of the diagnosis, and never take water away.
Also be careful when massaging the crop, as if you put pressure on it in the wrong way, that can cause them to bring more liquid up which isnt good.

You've got some experts on this thread who are offering amazing advice, just wanted to hop on and mention this.
Hope your hen feels better ASAP.
It’s just so confusing what to do, I feel like every time I have a sick hen they die anyway 🥲 this is my first time with theses symptoms

It’s just so confusing what to do, I feel like every time I have a sick hen they die anyway 🥲 this is my first time with theses symptoms
I get that, I thankfully havent lost a bird yet, but when my girls are unwell it is so stressful and confusing figuring out what is going on and how to fix it.
You're part of an awesome community on here, and I'm sure everyone is rooting for you, and ready to help with advice.
Sending best wishes :hugs

It may be worth to do a molasses flush as well. My hen Ginger had grass stuck in her gizzard, she flushed it out eating watermelon, fresh lettuce, I also gave her a molasses flush one day, she started to get much better after that. I couldn't get much in her, had to go very slow with a medicine syringe, but the next day she started to eat yolks on her own! I was so happy😭

I’ve given it twice , so just once a day. Is AVC better ? Or coconut oil? I can’t imagine that cream is tasty.
No, the cream works. It needs to be miconazole. Coconut oil just helps dislodge what might be impacting her crop. It’s that overdoing the cream can also really hurt her, I’ve seen people post it killed their chicken. I just wanted to caution you because it can be overdone. It’s good for treating the sour crop yeast though.

I have a hen who I had a lot of trouble with her getting sour crop over and over. The first time I had to turn her upside down and make her vomit because she was really impacted. I was afraid to do this but she was going to die at that point if I didn’t do something. This was after trying EVERYTHING else. Even the cedar crest farm remedy on YouTube.

After getting her over that, she kept getting sour crop, sometimes I just gave her the cream a few days. It would clear up.

It turned out to be the corn I was feeding them in the scratch mix I made myself. My other hens had no problem but she did so I had to switch to finer ground corn. Sorry to be so long with this but I just wanted to explain how the cream had worked for me.

It is confusing, and every situation can be different. I’m sorry for your losses, Crop issues can be the most frustrating, but they can also easily be cured. I hope she gets better soon.
OK here’s an update, I was just at the coop with her, and her crop did not empty last night. It was full of water and a tiny bit of feed, she did vomit a lot of it out, and it almost emptied. I held her upside down, the best I could. I mixed her up, an egg yolk, and some plain yogurt, then I took that mixture and made a soupy mash. I put her in my extra coop and gave her a P size amount of cream. Then I sat her down and she pecked at the food. Her tail is up a little higher, I wonder if it feels better when it empties. She was really talking in the coop so I did let her out with the flock. I’m leaving soon and will be back in a few hours. I will check on her then. Any other suggestions?

OK here’s an update, I was just at the coop with her, and her crop did not empty last night. It was full of water and a tiny bit of feed, she did vomit a lot of it out, and it almost emptied. I held her upside down, the best I could. I mixed her up, an egg yolk, and some plain yogurt, then I took that mixture and made a soupy mash. I put her in my extra coop and gave her a P size amount of cream. Then I sat her down and she pecked at the food. Her tail is up a little higher, I wonder if it feels better when it empties. She was really talking in the coop so I did let her out with the flock. I’m leaving soon and will be back in a few hours. I will check on her then. Any other suggestions?
Do give the cream twice a day, morning and night, and empty the crop out as much as you can before hand.

Have you seen any brown/solid matter in her poop that would indicate she is digesting some food or is just water and white urates? If no food seems to be getting through a crop flush is worth a try. 1/4 cup warm water with 1 teaspoon of molasses mixed in or 1/2 cup of warm water with 1 teaspoon of epsom salt. You can give the epsom salt flush twice a day for 2-3 days if needed, just keep an eye out for dehydration (tired chicken, pale and droopy comb)

Why did you hold her upside down?

No, the cream works. It needs to be miconazole. Coconut oil just helps dislodge what might be impacting her crop. It’s that overdoing the cream can also really hurt her, I’ve seen people post it killed their chicken. I just wanted to caution you because it can be overdone. It’s good for treating the sour crop yeast though.

I have a hen who I had a lot of trouble with her getting sour crop over and over. The first time I had to turn her upside down and make her vomit because she was really impacted. I was afraid to do this but she was going to die at that point if I didn’t do something. This was after trying EVERYTHING else. Even the cedar crest farm remedy on YouTube.

After getting her over that, she kept getting sour crop, sometimes I just gave her the cream a few days. It would clear up.

It turned out to be the corn I was feeding them in the scratch mix I made myself. My other hens had no problem but she did so I had to switch to finer ground corn. Sorry to be so long with this but I just wanted to explain how the cream had worked for me.
So I’m doing like a pea size amount of that cream , once a day is that ok?

Back
Top Bottom