1. only one lay

only one lay Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    litchfield mi
    someone gave me a nice 3gal one. no rust. cleaned up real nice,bleached and everything. Issue- when I put the top

piece on it just runs out the bottom like it should but it just keeps running. is it fixable, and how? thanks

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    There is a leak somewhere that's preventing a vacuum from forming.

Is this the type with the outer part that bayonet-mounts onto a peg down in the water trough area? (If so, your problem is for sure a rust pinhole. Try looking into the outer portion with the sun behind it, look for a pinhole you could try caulking or soldering)

I am not familiar enough with other types of galvanized waterers to know exactly where you should look for the leak, but that's what you have to do.

They only work right when the exiting water leaves a *vacuum* behind, i.e. air cannot creep into the space above the water inside the reservoir.

Good luck,

Pat

3. danielbrown

danielbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Spartanburg, sc
    I had that problem with a brand new one. I sealed the seams with automotive silicone gasket sealer. No more leaks.

4. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    could be a leak at the handle connection. you should be able to fix it with some epoxy. it's a vacuum leak so don't worry about how strong the fix is.

5. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

I'm sorry this is going to be off topic, but every time I read the title of this thread all I can think is "water can what?"

[​IMG] I just had to ask... off to see the wizard, now....

meri

6. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    Mojo Chick'n :

I'm sorry this is going to be off topic, but every time I read the title of this thread all I can think is "water can what?"

[​IMG] I just had to ask... off to see the wizard, now....

meri

There's a Hole in my Bucket Dear Liza Dear Liza!!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by