Water Clean, Thaw, and Outside..?

Pics

Armstrt8

Chirping
Nov 5, 2019
I currently have one of these base style water heaters that kicks on when its below 35. It is inside the coop and works well. I have a 5 and 6 gallon double walled water container like the one below. They were outside but are now freezing too fast. The heater states on it that it is for indoor use only..... is anyone using these outside?? If so, did you build some type of small structure around it to keep debris off?

The trouble I am having in the coop is that the water container gets FILTHY! I am also noticing much higher moisture within the coop to the extent that I added an additional vent. Lastly, aside from the waterer getting dirty the water makes its way into the bedding and just... I don't want it inside anymore! On a cold day, sure I will throw some water in there, but I want it outside.

So.... long story short I guess.... does anyone use this type of base heater outside with success?

Heater:
Heated Base.jpg

Water Container:
waterr.jpg

You don't say where you are located so we have no idea how cold it gets where you are. I live in NW Montana. I don't think that sort of water system would work here when it gets down into the -20s F. I use a water system similar to imnukensc but I use a stock tank deicer to keep the water thawed and an 11 gallon tote with lid instead of the large jug. Horizontal nipples are fantastic. In 5 winters my water has never frozen and is kept outside in the covered run.

The heater states on it that it is for indoor use only..... is anyone using these outside?? If so, did you build some type of small structure around it to keep debris off?
I've seen people use them outside, but, yeah, some shelter would be good.

HN's are the bomb, I rarely use anything else.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-heated-waterer-with-horizontal-nipples.67256/

but it's worked fine the last couple winters.
Does it even freeze where you are?

The world is made up of protons, neutrons, electrons, and morons.
Love your siggy! :gig

Tell us where you are located. I’m in West central OH. I have your exact items, using for the first tine this year.

Last year we used a heated dog bowl bc two de-icers didn’t work (brand new), and one bucket heater developed a rusty cage (poor manufacturing welds began to rust the moment water hit them) and the chickens wouldn’t drink the water, no matter how fresh it was.

So, purchased the water container this summer, and the heater this fall. It is inside the coop on blocks, with a small orange cone on top to prevent roosting birds/poopy water. I thought about putting it outside, but the cord isn’t long enough to reach the plug in the coop, the way we have things set up. It may not be able to handle super low temps either -I’m not sure.

Central Minnesota for me, so.. it gets cold!

I have 4 of those oasis type chicken watering cups I have used yet. After a little research I think I am going to build a simple 1x1x2 box with a side half cutout. Stick the heater in there with a 5 gal bucket and a couple of the oasis cups. That should keep it out of the elements plenty. I will show you what I mean tmr once done!

Back
Top Bottom