water consumption during molt

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jdfette, Dec 2, 2019.

1. jdfette

jdfette Hatching

Jun 28, 2018
    My girls started their molt period about a month ago. Ever since that started, it seems that they are drinking less water. Is this normal behavior during molt? Anything I should do to help encourage them to drink more water? thanks!

2. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Free Ranging

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    I don't know about molt, but mine drink a lot less when it's colder (which kind of coincides with molt timing). As long as they can freely access their water, I wouldn't worry about it, they can figure out for themselves how much they need.

Papa John59 likes this.
  3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How are you determining that they are drinking less...do you have a decent way of measuring daily consumption?
    Is there rain or snow?
    Mine drink less when there is.

4. Duckfarmer1

Duckfarmer1 Songster

Jul 23, 2019
    Kane,Pa
    This is funny because my hubby and I were wondering about the pullets and cockerels yesterday. There water is kept from freezing with heat tape. I keep checking to make sure it’s not too warm, or no shock. It’s fine, but they don’t seem to drink muck. They are my free rangers. :). Little buggers! My older bunch have a larger water bowl, same kind of heat tape. They drink it. There are 13 older ones . 7 young ones, so it’s not like I’m just not noticing drinking levels because there are that many less birds. We do have a lot of snow already here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: