Water, Feed in coop or run?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hopefulloflove, Aug 24, 2011.

1. Hopefulloflove

Hopefulloflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    Do you keep food and water in the coop, or run, or both?

2. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    mine only eat during daylight so I keep it outside in the run but if weather is bad i have inside too.

3. SueBaby

SueBaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    Run only. But they have access from the coop to the run 24/7. I've never seen them leave the coop to eat or drink when it's dark or close to it. My run and coop are connected and both have a roof so I don't have weather issues.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  4. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Feed in the coop and water out in the run. The water will be moved in the run during winter.

5. oneofseven

oneofseven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2011
    Augusta, Ga
    I put feed in the coop, scratch in the run and water available in both. The heat and humidity are horrible.

6. EggyErin

EggyErin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    N. Ga mountains
    Mine free-range but have coop access so I keep food and water in coop and extra water outside. They tend to eat feed in the morning before going out and here and there during the late afternoon, early evening.

7. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    I have the food in the coop so it doesnÂ’t get wet and the water in the run, but during winter I bring the water inside the coop

8. Hopefulloflove

Hopefulloflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    So I guess whatever works for us and our area is fine...Thanks for all of your replies! [​IMG]

9. Mommato5

Mommato5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Quote:Exactly this! We just moved the water into the run after it spilled in the coop and made a huge mess! It stays SO much cleaner out there (both the shavings in the coop and the water itself!)! We are working on a poultry cup watering system for inside the coop for the winter so the water doesn't freeze. I plan to keep a heat lamp in there to keep in the inside coop temp above freezing and keep the water thawed. We get into negative temps in the winter so water in the run just wouldn't work well during that season!

10. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have an automatic waterer in the coop and one in the run. Their pellets are in the coop but get fed BOSS and their salad every day in the run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by