water for the little critters

SusanJoM

Songster
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
Santa Rosa, California
Is there a problem with feeding the chicks from the indoor faucet if the water has been "softened"???

I know that water is not appropriate for indoor plants, which is why I wonder if maybe the sodium content (or whatever the offending issue is) is too high for baby chicks too?

I've been going outside and bringing in water from a faucet that brings water more directly from the well. It is very hard and has a very high and nasty smelling iron component.

Thanks for your help
Susan

Being I am new at this and saw no one answered your question or my question I thought I would give you MO. Do you drink the water from inside the house? Will you be giving them the water from outside once they are outside? Is that water OK to drink? I would think you would give them the water from out side but that is just MO.
hu.gif

I agree. If you will be giving them the water from outside, give it to them now. If you are going to give them the water from the inside, give it now. You can take a sample of your water to your county ag office for testing and see if there is a high iron content or what the smell is from.

I give mine both and they are healthy I have a tub outside with mesh to cover it. When it rains the tub fills up and I give them that.

Thanks everyone.
When the chicks go outside, they will be getting water directly from the well. I have the water to the house treated, but not the water for irrigation, etc.

I guess, I will continue doing what I'm doing right now, which is re-filling their water bottle from a hose outside; that is the water that they will be drinking "forever", so I guess the very safest thing is to have them on it all the time.

Susan

speedabug, do you make sure to give them the rain water within a certain amount of time? As in, how long do you allow the rain water to sit before you determine it's no longer potable for the chickens?

Back
Top Bottom