water for the winter

thankyou for all of this i didnt think about the heater burning up

Last edited:
I have a couple of those plastic heated waterers pictured and I really like them other than the splash factor. I've had the base slip off while flipping it over (more than once) and dumped 2 gallons of water inside the coop days where temps were subzero. Shoveling out sopping wet litter is just what I wanted to do in freezing weather... If you're really careful when turning them over and have a level block to put them on, they work well.

I read heated plastic waterers (as pictured) work well, but filling seems to be a problem. I think a 2" or larger drill bit would solve many of the filling problems being vetted... Any thoughts on drilling 2" hole through the center on top - sealing with barrel cork if really necessary, and using a large 8-10" wide funnel for filling while upright? The funnel that I have goes from 9" down to 3/4" at the end of the spout. It is 24" long and would work easily to fill this container. These wine funnels are made to stand (unaided) in a one gallon bottle of wine. The heated 3 gallon water container seems to make the funnel work better.

Your thought are appreciated.....

The problem with drilling the hole is that you would have to have it sealed or the water will run straight out while you are trying to fill it that way. It depends on the water not having that hole in the top. I have not tried it but am pretty sure that is what will happen. I am thinking i will make something with a toilet float soon and run water line to the coop and then add the heat and see how that works. Then only thing i will have to worry about is cleaning it from algae. Not so sure but heard putting a penny will stop it from getting green inside. Maybe I will test that theory as well.

I bought a 5 gallon pail, a common toilet float valve, the 12" length of tubing that normally runs from the float valve (when installed in a toilet) to the water supply valve in the wall (just make sure you get one that has a fitting at one end that fits the toilet float valve and the other end should be 3/4" so that it fits a garden hose), and nipple waterers from FarmTek...oh, also an aquarium heater and outdoor extension cord (good time of the year to buy, look near the Christmas lights in any hardware store or Walmart).

Drilled hole in center bottom of bucket for toilet valve, sealed it in with some food grade silicone caulk (ask the hardware guy for something that can be used in refrigerators, etc). Let it dry overnight. Drilled holes around edges for nipples and installed. Connect 12" hose to float valve, connect 12" hose to outdoor hose that I buried under the straw as I ran it through the veggie garden, install heater in BOTTOM of bucket (less chance that water would entirely empty in the worst cases scenario), run extension cord to outside outlet or nearest outdoor light fixture (then get yourself a thing-a-ma-jig that allows you to screw it into the light socket in the fixture and has an outlet on the other end, turn on light switch to that fixture when you need heat for water), voila! self filling, heated water bucket.

Mine hangs on the south wall outside of the coop. We rarely have to keep the birds in during the day. If we do then I have a plastic waterer inside the coop and I haul a gallon of water in a juice pitcher out there to fill for one day's worth (20 birds). Our birds don't seem to drink a lot once it cools down here. In fact, the first year I had the self watering bucket, I didn't want to leave the hose connected on freezing nights (now I have a better, insulated hose bib set up) and I only connected the hose when the bucket needed to be filled. With 20 birds a 3-4 gallon fill would last 3-4 days, twice per week to re-fill the bucket. I would connect the hose to the bib in the afternoon when things warmed up and the hose was least likely to have ice in it after sitting in the sun all day.

I do get some green slime in the bucket so I wash it out monthly, seems about right for the amount of algae growth. Things work great, the birds like it, there is always clean water, and I don't have to get myself wet trying to fill plastic/ galvanized waterers or turn over 5 gallon buckets when it is 0 degrees outside.

No problem with the aquarium heater though it does have a warning on the box to be sure it is submerged in water at all times. Thus, mount it on the bottom of the bucket, mine has never gone totally dry, ever. And with a 5 gallon bucket you only need the cheapest of heaters, the one for a 5-10 gallon aquarium, usually less than $12 at a pet store.

I have a "little giant" water heater base. It is somewhat expensive, but I have had it for some time.

I simply place my 2 gallon steel waterer on top of it and it functions perfectly.

I bought mine at the local feed store a few year ago and I noticed they still have them.

Really, it is the easiest, safest way to go.

If you like I can go up to the barn and get a pic of it as I will be putting it into service shortly.

can you hear me now? :

the water will run straight out while you are trying to fill it that way.

Thank You soo much.... I can just imagine how stupid I would have felt when filling the container through the newly drilled hole and watching the water spilling all over the floor.

Still looking for inexpensive alternative.... .Seems like the 5 gal contained with hole in side feeding into 14" oil drip pan, positioned over a cinder block with a 40-60 watt bulb might be the best I can do for the near future.

Thank You all so much for your time - comments always appreciated.​

Back
Top Bottom