We purchased a heated base and metal water fount made by "Little Giant" and before I used it I cleaned it with dawn dish soap. I noticed the water had grease bubbles floating on top of the water, so I cleaned it again and tried using it for a couple of weeks to see if whatever it was would wash away. It was still there. I cleaned it 4 more times and soaked it in bleach today, and STILL when I run my hand along the inside of the fount it feels like it is coated in a thick grease (Vaseline type of consistency). I'm dumbfounded! This product is made for animal use so it must be safe! Yet it doesn't seem right to let the flock drink water that looks greasy and I had 2 hens develop sour crop..: coincidence I don't know. I am very frustrated. It can get -20 where I live (unfortunately), so I need to find a successful way to keep the water from freezing. I think it's possible the manufacturer coated the fount pieces with grease so that the 2 parts slide together easier, but that can't be safe!?! Has anyone else had an experience with metal founts like this? I am thinking of taking an s.o.s pad to it later but that's probably not good to scratch the metal all up. :/ Advice appreciated, thanks everyone!