Water fount won't hold a seal leaks down ??

zekii

Songster
9 Years
Nov 1, 2010
New Hampsha
Any ideas why I can't get my Miller water fount to stop running over the bottom saucer ?
I have the 3 gallon version of this one...

http://www.amazon.com/Miller-Manufa...=pd_sim_sbs_petsupplies_3/175-9096634-8814638

I put olive oil on the seal like the lable on the fount indicated, but still the water keeps
running out of the fount even after the bottom saucer fills.
Is there a trick to this type of water fount ???
Very frustrating !!!

he.gif

The lid on that thing has to be SUPER tight to hold water properly. I have to have my husband tighten it (and unscrew it) because I can't get it tight enough to retain water. It works wonderfully when it's tight enough.

Your rubber gasket looks good????

I have a 2 gallon. It says to not hold it by the outer handle yet they put an outer handle on it. You can't hang them by the outer handle either or it says the vacuum seal might break.

When I fill mine I check each time to ensure no debris is on the seal and really rinse the inside and outside good every night. Once I refill the interior I carry it by that handle to the final location and set it down. Then line up the lock to the pin when you push the top down. Once the top engages the valve/seal you go fast to push the rest of the way onto the pin and then turn and lock it. It helps if you have the pin and lock lined up, rather than spinning it around looking for the lock, because water will continue to come out.

After it is locked in place, I press down one more time on the outer part. Mine is new - been used a month - but I can see how over time it probably will start to fail as I think it gets loose over time maybe. I don't use bleach on mine either as bleach is hard on sealant and rubber. The unit looks like they are sealed at the bottom where the water tray is - or is that soldered ya think?

Last edited:
I went throught the same thing with my waterers until I finally got mad enough and threw it out. Now I use waterer cups and am very happy with them. The water is held in a bucket outside of the coop so it doesn't waste any space in the run. It also never leaks and I only clean it every four months, were I was cleaning my waterer like you have every other day since it grew green growth like crazy. I cups don't spill because they only fill when the chickens are drinking.

The lid on that thing has to be SUPER tight to hold water properly. I have to have my husband tighten it (and unscrew it) because I can't get it tight enough to retain water. It works wonderfully when it's tight enough.

Your rubber gasket looks good????
Yes gasket looks like it should, waterer is brand new !!!, coated the rubber gasket with olive oil like the lable on the waterer reccomends...
The instructions say tighten fully, and then align the handle with the cap holder...guess I'll have to
crank down on the lid tighter and see if that correctes the leaking issues. Waterers don't need to be this complicated
barnie.gif

I went throught the same thing with my waterers until I finally got mad enough and threw it out. Now I use waterer cups and am very happy with them. The water is held in a bucket outside of the coop so it doesn't waste any space in the run. It also never leaks and I only clean it every four months, were I was cleaning my waterer like you have every other day since it grew green growth like crazy. I cups don't spill because they only fill when the chickens are drinking.
Where would one find the type of waterer you use? I don't think I've heard of it before.

Make sure the lid is on straight. I have one Miller, 6 Little Giant and one that is another brand I can't remember off hand. I love the Little Giant ones! They seal easily but the one I can't remember the name of (starts with an H) I have a dickens of a time to get it to seal. I just have to make sure the lid is on straight it sometimes looks like it is straight but it isn't. Just watch for it to "glug, glug" after you get the lid on it. We use the 5 gallon and 7 gallon ones.

TO UPDATE....
he.gif

Frustrated with this waterer, I lubed the O Ring with olive oil, vaseline, and silicone spray.
I cleaned & recleaned the lid threads, and O Ring.....Glug Glug ... water leaks out over the red tray, not matter how tight
I screw the cap on....so I called the Miller Company at their 800 number and the women on the other end says check the cap really well
sounds like you have a hair line crack in the cap, bring the waterer back to were you bought it and they'll exchange it for you...defective!!
I did check for cracks in the cap before, but I get off the phone with her, and sure enough, now after I had applied
all the lubrication know to man, the crack was visible...oussing lube. The hairline crack was right at the top of the cap, barely visible.
So this is obviously an issue with these waterers since I read some previous posts...it shouldn't be that hard to get a good seal, and no wonder it was with
a crack in the CAP.

The new waterer without the crack in the cap works like a charm!! I don't have to crank the lid on very tight, and the
seal works weel... so if you have to screw the cap on so tight you can't get it off, that is not the way these waterers are meant
to be. Get a new O ring, or cap !!!

Back
Top Bottom