Water gets stinky quick!?

I use horizontal nipples for my waterers, the water stays clean 24/7.
14 gallons in the run and 5 in the coop. I use DIY no waste feeders also. I can leave my flock of 27 for a week without any worries of them running out of food and water.

20180729_161449.jpg

I use the same exact waterer, have it hanging from a chain off the ground. I change it out every few days regardless. Everyone likes fresh water and anything over a few days is just yucky. IMHO

I use horizontal nipples for my waterers, the water stays clean 24/7.
14 gallons in the run and 5 in the coop. I use DIY no waste feeders also. I can leave my flock of 27 for a week without any worries of them running out of food and water.

View attachment 1803661
And mice cannot get into that feeder? Do you have an auto-door for the coop?
There's a recent thread called "Are you tied down by your birds? What about Vacations?" You could post there with your story, that would be helpful....
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...n-by-your-birds-what-about-vacations.1313865/

I have a waterer like your original model and I also DIY'ed a 5 gallon nipple waterer w/ horizontal nipples. One additional thought on the matter, ACV corrodes metal(even stainless steel) and the nipples have metal parts. So I actually use 2 waterers and only put ACV in the plastic waterer not the bucket waterer with the nipples. I'm not really sure if there are any other adverse effects other than the corrosion of the nipple parts but I thought I'd mention that. And :welcome , hope you enjoy your time here:D.

And mice cannot get into that feeder? Do you have an auto-door for the coop?
There's a recent thread called "Are you tied down by your birds? What about Vacations?" You could post there with your story, that would be helpful....

My run is covered with tuftex plastic panels and everything else is 1/2" hardware cloth. I have 1/2" HWC down from my coop as well and a HWC apron all around the coop and run. I haven't had any evidence of rodents, in the 2.5 years it's been in use. My pop door is open 24/7. I made a door, in case I ever needed it for some reason though.

I'll have to check that thread out, I'm definitely not tied down to my flock. I top off the waterers once a week, as well as the feeders. I rotate the feed, so nothing gets old. When I go away, I don't need to rely on anyone to care for them. A neighbor comes to get the eggs, because she loves to come over to see the chickens.

Great, I bought some horizontal nipples from amazon and a bucket at HD today.

Make sure you use an 11/32 drill bit for the hole. You will probably have to buy one, if you have a standard drill bit set. Leave 2 -3 threads showing when you screw them in, do not screw them all the way in. If you ever need to take them out, you can screw them back into the hole again and they shouldn't leak around the threads. If water drips out where the pin is, there could be a piece of dirt at the O-ring. You can take them out, flush them out and screw them back in, if you can't do it while they are installed.

Horizontal nipple.jpg

If you have city water? If so, it’s most likely treated and unlikely to grow anything. If you, like us, are using well water, then it’s not treated with the mild toxins (chloramine, etc.) that you get in city water. Obviously countless humans and other creatures drink city water without known ill effects, but if you do chose to add chlorine (which will gas off unlike chloramines often used in municipal treatments), it’s very important to add the correct amount.

If your un-soiled, covered well water begins to stink after a day or two, you may want to have it tested to make sure it’s safe. If it’s covered and the vessel is clean, it should last several days at reasonable temperatures.

Nipple waterers do help, but it’s vital that your birds know how to use them before you leave them alone. Also if it’s very hot, it can be difficult for the birds to hydrate themselves sufficiently via nipple waterers, especially meat birds, whose metabolism requires large amounts of water.

Cup waterers are easier to learn, especially if you get the ones operated by a float valve. IME, the birds will soil the cup, fill it with bedding, etc. if there’s anything available to fill it with. You may have better luck. I’ve only tried mine in brooder so far. I may add them to a bucket and hang it over grass in my tractors. I think that would work better.

My water is well water that is then filtered thru an RO unit, so it should be about as clean as water can get but is missing some of the water treatments mentioned.

Last night I put 4 of the horizontal nipples on a bucket and put it in their run. I gave them a plate of leftover scraps and watched for about 10-15 minutes while they ate that and curiously picked at some potato bugs I threw in. Funny they weren't curious about the new bucket...do they typically figure out the waterer easily on their own? I did leave the old water container and and play on doing so but I'm not home all day to monitor and watch them to make sure they are using the new one.

Back
Top Bottom