Water in Brooder...

mommto3kiddos

Songster
8 Years
Mar 9, 2011
So at TSC they had a tub of water in with the ducklings (about 1" deep) in addition to the water fountain. So when we got home we put a small plastic bowl of about 1" water in with our along with their fountain. They love to stand in it, but they also love to dump it. Im having to change the litter 2 or 3 times a day b/c they soak the brooder.

Well this morning I just went ahead and took it out after finding them soaked only 15 minutes after litter change.

So my question, do 1-2 week old ducklings need a water "play" bowl.. When should you keep a play tub in the brooder.. Sorry if these are
tongue.png
questions. Ive never had ducklings before so Im kind of lost..
big_smile.png

Oh and a pic of my two lovies! They are like what mom we were just playing!

IMG_8985.jpg

We give them play time in a bath tub once day for the reason you mentioned earlier.....way to messy otherwise.

We occasionaly put in a plastic container with 2 small holes cut in the top so they can put their whole head in water. That reduces the watery mess a little.

As long as they have water deep enough to dunk their bills in while they are in the brooder, they don't have to have something in there that they can fully fit in. I just gave them the 1 gallon water jug thing and that's all they had in their kennel/brooder.

They made enough of a mess with their water without a play water lol
P1020952.jpg

Agree with everyone else. But it is nice to see them paddling about in a bath tub or kiddies paddling pool. Dry them off before putting them back in the brooder.

I only just gave them swimming water in their brooder at 2 weeks. I didn't really mean to give them swimming water, but they kept tipping over their smaller water containers that did have lids. This bigger container doesn't have a lid. *Sigh* I need to find myself some gallon jugs and cut holes in them. Soda bottles don't work, too easy to tip over. Also pretty easy to climb into if you cut the holes too big. (Guess how I discovered that!)

ETA: pictures of "swimming" water:
035.JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom