water inside coop for winter?

new chick 203

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 8, 2010
Ridgefield CT
This is probably a stupid question but,
hide.gif
do you keep water in the coop during the winter months? Up to now I have had water in and out and food in. But all this talk about humidity in the coop has me concerned. I plan to have a heated bowl out side in the covered part of the run. Can I keep the inside water too?

I don't keep water inside the coop, as it is a little coop and they kept knocking it over. This will be their first winter, so I hope they go outside. If not, I'll figure out something...

I always keep a waterer (and feed) wherever the chickens are going to be- inside or outside- I feel the should always have access to clean water and food. If you have good ventilation in your coop, you will not have any problem by virtue of keeping a waterer in it. If you do not have good ventilation in your coop, you will have problems even without a waterer in your coop!

Yay Chicks! :

I don't keep water inside the coop, as it is a little coop and they kept knocking it over. This will be their first winter, so I hope they go outside. If not, I'll figure out something...

Can you hang your waterer in the coop?​

I was hoping to do the switch over to the nipple waterer soon. being a contained system it would add little humidity to the air, I would think. I do have ventilation, by the way. It's just hard to gage these things the first time around.

In the winter I keep their food and the waterer inside the coop, it is one with a heated base, it is plastic, and I am thinking about getting a metal one this winter, I work full time so I am not home to dump out the frozen water and replace it. I do shut the coop up at night for fear of drafts and mice though. I have done this for a few years and not had a problem.

In the winter I keep their food and the waterer inside the coop, it is one with a heated base, it is plastic, and I am thinking about getting a metal one this winter, I work full time so I am not home to dump out the frozen water and replace it. I do shut the coop up at night for fear of drafts and mice though. I have done this for a few years and not had a problem.

This will be my first year with the girls. I currently have fresh water inside and outside. In my coop where my feeder and waterer are, I have a sectioned off area with a 2x8 constructed box. My entire floor is covered with vinyl flooring for easy cleaning. To avoid spilling over, I have the waterer on an eight inch concrete block. It raises the water high enough to keep stuff from being kicked into it but high enough for the girls to get a drink. I plan very soon to run an outlet on this side of my coop since I bought an electric pan heater to place on my block. I think I will have to find a thinner block or paver to place under the heater/waterer but keep the height at a good level. Check out my BYC page to see inside my coop and my feeder/waterer area. Best of luck to all during this winter.

Back
Top Bottom