Water inside/outside coop??

black_cat

♥♥Lover of Leghorns♥♥
May 21, 2020
Connecticut
For planning my coop setup, I had originally planned to set up the hanging waterer in the run, to avoid spills in the coop, and the hanging feeder in the coop, so that rodents won't try to get to it. I forgot to account for the fact that we would probably have to close the door to the coop at night, as we have seen foxes and other predators in our yard before. Should I put the waterer inside the coop or outside?

You could put it in the run during the day, and in the coop at night. I would recommend closing the coop door at night. Is the run predator proof to keep predators out during the day?

You could put it in the run during the day, and in the coop at night. I would recommend closing the coop door at night. Is the run predator proof to keep predators out during the day?
Yes, the run will be predator proof. it is fully enclosed and will have hardware mesh below the bedding (don't worry i'm planning on putting a lot of bedding in for scratching and stuff) as well as extending out in an apron around the sides. I wasn't sure about the water because I know lots of people who leave it outside, but I wasn't sure if they get thirsty during the night.

As long as you leave them out first thing in the morning, they really don't need either at night. They don't eat or drink in the dark.
We don't have either inside the coop, only in the run.
However you do it will be fine! 😊

I’ve only just recently got some Silkie chicks. But used to keep chickens with my parents when I was younger and we have always had no food or water in the coop.
We just open the coop door in the morning soon as we are awake. I think it is just what you are happy to do really. I’m sure your chickens will be happy.

Back
Top Bottom