Water Level Indicator For Bucket

VTHokieAg

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 4, 2009
Virginia
I'm not sure if it's ever been brought up on this forum or not but here is an easy way to make a water level indicator. I put these on all of my bucket/nipple waterers but you could apply the same concept to just about anything. The nice thing about this is if you have a solid color bucket and you can't see the water level in it this makes it a whole lot easier. We all know how tight the lids for the buckets fit and can be a big pain to take off of the bucket when there is 45 lbs of weight dangling. This allows you to keep your lid locked down solid so no dust/dirt/feathers can get in and allows a quick visual to see your water level. One other thing, the black seal on the bucket is a special seal called a Uniseal, which is a very common type of seal for curved surfaces and they are made to fit all of your standard sizes of PVC. I usually have to order mine because I can't find locally. I get them from The Uniseal Warehouse. They are extremely cheap and work better than traditional bulkheads on curved surfaces.

PS- On this particular bucket, I attached the upper zip-tie holding the tubing a little too far towards the top and it somewhat interferes with the lid. The lid still snaps down if you kind of pry the tubing. I just figured I would point that out so you don't make the same mistake if you decide to build one yourself. Also, don't forget to drill a hole in your bucket lid for an air vent. It can even be as tiny as 1/16".

Hey that is a great idea you have there. I do believe that I have a couple of spots that this concept could come in handy. It could also function as the vent to my buckets with horizontal nipples, I have had to previously drill a small hole in the lid or side of the bucket, this could both vent and show water level. Thanks for posting this and the photos, very nice.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

I was thinking about doing this to mine too! I like it. I was going to try to find something orange or bright colored that fit in the tube so you can see the level from a distance. With the orange bucket you can get away with something white. Like a ping pong ball but small enough to float freely in the tube.

Last edited:
Love the uniseals!! Learned about them in the ornamental ponding world.
With a cleanly drilled hole, a beveled pipe end and little veg oil lube the smaller ones are pretty easy to install.

Hey that is a great idea you have there. I do believe that I have a couple of spots that this concept could come in handy. It could also function as the vent to my buckets with horizontal nipples, I have had to previously drill a small hole in the lid or side of the bucket, this could both vent and show water level. Thanks for posting this and the photos, very nice.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ
I'm not sure this would actually work as an anti vacuum vent?

This is a great idea. It was just posted in another forum too. I had forgotten I was part of this group.

Back
Top Bottom