Water loving hens!

ChickenMom33

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 1, 2014
Utah
Is there anyone else who has hens that love the rain?! Before i got chickens i read that they dont like water and should stay out of it but all 5 of my hens wont stay out of the rain hahah! I tried putting them in their coop and they run right back out and contiue to do their things!! Can they catch colds? Should i lock them in their coops or are they fine to do as they please?
1f604.png

You're not the only one! Mine are crazy little crackers when it comes to the rain too!
hu.gif

The first time they experienced rain they were about 5 months old. There I was, frantically trying to chase them into the coop, and there they were - shooting about, trying to dodge me! I gave up in the end. Their willpower is stronger than mine.

As far as I'm aware, chickens don't get 'colds'. They can get respiratory issues etc, but these are generally viral, and not caused by the chickens getting wet.

It's Winter here now, and mine are regularly going out for a drenching in the rain. Interestingly enough, if you can catch one of the wet little things and have a feel under their outer feathers, inside the downy feathers are still nice and dry and warm.
tongue.png

Krista

I guess as long as they are happy then they are fine! It makes me feel better to know that their down feathers stay dry. :)

Back
Top Bottom