Water nipples do they dispence enough water

Ryan H

Hatching
8 Years
Jan 23, 2012
I've been using water nipples since last fall. They are great. I recently had a need that I did a molasses flush. In doing this I had the birds drink from a bell style water er. I put 1 gallon in and left the water er for 8 hours my 20 birds drank it all. Usually have a 2 gallon bucket with two nipple on it and the never consume the whole thing, even on the third day I dump some out. The nipples I use are from farmtech the red thread style. I'm concerned if the are getting enough water using the nipples.
Thanks

Given that they can get as much water from the nipples as they want, it seems unlikely that they aren't getting enough. My chickens use nipples and seem to be fine over the past year since installation. If I pour some water out on the ground, they are all over it. I think that they must be hard-wired to drink from the ground. An awful lot of folks on this board use the nipples.

Chris

Chickens LOVE novelty water. Any water that is in a different container (or even puddled on the ground) is exciting to them. And running water? Look out. Mine go so crazy over the water running across the driveway after a storm that they drink it until they literally vomit.

Chickens definately prefer water that they can see, like puddles or waterer cups but they should get enough from nipples. Test to make sure it comes easily and freely when you press on it. If so, they should be good.

If dehydration is a concern you good add a little gatorade or poultry electrolyte to there water to ensure proper hydration and added nutrients....im glad to see this post though as ive been considering nipples fpr some time no to save floor space!

It's our second summer with the nipple waterer and I can assure you that my chickens are not dehydrated. Even in 95-degree weather. And yes, this method of water delivery is the standard in a production farm setting so it's not like it's untested technology.

I also use the nipple watering system, and I would NEVER go back to the standard type watering dishes... ESP for young chicks in the brooder, SO much cleaner and less mess... great invention that makes life so much cleaner and easier!
woot.gif

Back
Top Bottom