Water Nipples?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nittanyxi, May 12, 2010.

1. nittanyxi

nittanyxi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    What are they? How do they work? Where do you get them? Can you keep them from freezing in the winter?

2. seafooeymama

seafooeymama Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2010
    We got four poultry nipples from farmtek.com. We love them! We ran a 1" pvc pipe from a 5 gallon bucket mounted on the wall, down and across the wall about 18" high. We inserted the four nipples along the pipe. The chickens (14) drink out of it all day. I only have to fill the bucket about every four days, and it stays totally clean! They were getting the hay underneath wet, so we framed in a small gravel bed under the nipples, and the area stays dry. It only leaks a bit, as they are drinking. No more poop, hay, food, whatever in the water! I can post a picture if you like. We looked everywhere for the nipples, and just ended up ordering them. They are cheap, about $2 apiece. I think you will pay more for shipping.

I don't know about the freezing, ours is in our barn, and it shouldn't freeze, I guess you could provide alternate watering if it gets too cold.

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  3. Qi Chicken

Qi Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2009
    I would like to know also. Plans for one that won't freeze (electricity available) and how much water per 10 chickens per day.

4. nittanyxi

nittanyxi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    If anyone has pics of their set up it would be great to see them. thanks.

5. JMPE

JMPE Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    Western Wisconsin
    I have a two gallon bucket with two nipples (from FarmTek) screwed into the bottom. During the winter I dropped in a bird bath heater that rested at the bottom between the two nipples and had no freezing issues. My five girls can go for several days to a week with it depending on the weather. Here is current thread with pictures... https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=341541

6. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
  7. seafooeymama

seafooeymama Out Of The Brooder

Feb 11, 2010
    Here's some shots of my system:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by