Water Sealer/Proofer for coop

alec120psi

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 22, 2013
Hi Folks, I'm building my coop right now and need to find a sealer for the frame that I can get locally like at HD or Lowes. Would prefer something rather permanent so I don't need to worry about the bottom of the wood that is in contact with the concrete blocks rotting too quickly. Also needs to be chicken friendly.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Alec

Hi Kelly, Is the marine preservative safe for animals? If so, that sounds great. How long should it last?

Thanks,
Alec

Hi Kelly, Is the marine preservative safe for animals? If so, that sounds great. How long should it last?

Thanks,
Alec
He said he didn't know if it was safe for animals. My thinking however is that the chickens won't be eating it right? Just like the how many people paint the interior of their coops. My guess would be that it's safe as long as it has dried. He didn't know how long it would last, but he said it would be way better than a sealer.

I use an oil deck stain/toner for exterior. Quick and easy to apply, good longevity (numbers of years vary to sun exposure) and reapplication is simple. Hose off dirt and reapply when dry.

Spar varnishes (marine coatings) are nice but will require scraping/sanding when ready for reapplication and many require conditioning for smoother application. It's an exterior grade varnish so can be very thick and hard to brush, hence conditioner, yields a thick film that needs scrapping/sanding between re-coating after failure. Lacking choices of color or tone too.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the replies. My wife found a product from Canada called "Lifetime Wood Preservative". It is all natural and is maintenance free. Can be used in gardens or anywhere.

Has anyone heard of this or used it? We purchased 2 gal from amazon and will be trying it out. I will keep you all updated.

Thanks again.

Alec

How did your wood preservative work out? My dad built an amazing feeder. Like, you, I'm looking for something chicken safe to apply to the exterior. (My mom & sister did the wood-burn artwork, so I really want to protect it.)

How did your wood preservative work out? My dad built an amazing feeder. Like, you, I'm looking for something chicken safe to apply to the exterior. (My mom & sister did the wood-burn artwork, so I really want to protect it.)

Your father did a fantastic job and the artwork is amazing. Well done!
thumbsup.gif

I'm guessing you recognize the design.
smile.png

It works great, but it's so pretty that I'm afraid to let the chickens use it. Did you use any sealers/ stains/ protectors on yours?

The reptile is a family joke because of all my lizards over the years. My parents even cared for my 6' iguana when we took the kids to FL.

Back
Top Bottom