Woods Coop Materials List?

killerl0bster

In the Brooder
Apr 2, 2024
Hello all,

We're 90% sure we're going to build our ladies a Woods style coop. There are several folks who've done excellent articles or ongoing threads about how they've decided on final designs and gotten things built, etc., but I'm wondering whether anyone has a concise list of lumber and sheet goods needed to complete a Woods coop in any of the 3 most common sizes I'm seeing on BYC -- 10'x6', 16'x10', and 8'x12'.

Dr. Woods himself gives a lovely list of lumber sizes and amounts needed in his book, but it's for a 20'x20' coop, which is quite a bit larger and not easily translated into any of the smaller dimensions.

I'm just looking for a materials list so I can call and price out my various supply options. The nearest Home Depot or Lowes is 2.5 hours away, and most other options are, at nearest, 30 minutes apart from each other, so it's worth it to me to really know what I'm going to need and front load my leg work rather than driving all over the countryside.

Are there any existing resources like this, or do I need to dust off my geometry skills and detail it out myself?

I have a 10' x 16' Woods, I built it exactly as instructed in his book. I used rough cut 1" x 6" x 10' boards and 1/2" by 2" battens in pine. I logic'd out the number of each at the time and have forgotten them.

Most folks who build a Woods use stick wall framing and 4' by 8' panels. Even so I have searched and never found either formal plans or materials list.

I suggest "dust off my geometry skills and detail it out myself" and get on with the build.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Call Lowe's or Home Depot. You want the 'Pro services' desk. Tell them the size you want and what material your using, and they will get you a material and price.
It's the same as building a house, garage, shed, barn...etc.

That's what they are there for...đź‘Ť

Edited to add. You'll need the basic blueprint/drawing layout.

Back
Top Bottom