water softener system and chickens

ridinem

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 3, 2014
This may be an odd question but I have a salt based water softener system in my house for the inside water only. This winter I started to bring the chickens warm water from in the house twice a day. I have had 2 chickens die and have another sick one, thoughts are of Merricks and one other disease. I started to wonder if maybe they are sick from the salts in the water as I remember I learned several years ago that fish can't survive in my water. Any thoughts on this?

This may be an odd question but I have a salt based water softener system in my house for the inside water only. This winter I started to bring the chickens warm water from in the house twice a day. I have had 2 chickens die and have another sick one, thoughts are of Merricks and one other disease. I started to wonder if maybe they are sick from the salts in the water as I remember I learned several years ago that fish can't survive in my water. Any thoughts on this?
I have a water softener and have never had any problems with my chickens nor my cats/dogs/kids. If your softener is set up correctly and operating properly,then no it is not an issue.

Back
Top Bottom