1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

water tray in LG question. Any experienced people please add tips. :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lovemychix, Sep 25, 2009.

1. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    In the bottom there is a middle trough and two on the outside of that one. Do I fill them all with water or just some of it? could use experienced people with this bator. First time using this one.
    My temps are staying steady I just worry about humidity. Thanks.

2. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    Don't worry about the humidity for the first 18 days-just keep it low. After that, fill the rings (all 3) and cover them a little if the humidity goes too high. Happy hatching!

3. lovemychix

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    I have all of them filled a little now. Is that too much? Ahhhhh!!! I'm a wreck over this. I ran a bator about 10 yrs ago in my classroom. I turned it on left it and all hatched. This time I have some special eggs and I'm even dreaming about something going wrong. [​IMG] Anxiety. Usually I just give them to my broody hens but I don't have one when I wanted one. [​IMG]
    By the way it's a still air and my temp is just right and I have my thermometer on top of the eggs at 101.5. [​IMG]

4. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    What is the humidity at?

5. lovemychix

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    I don't have a guage yet. Plan on getting one tonight. I have to drive to nearest town to get one.

6. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    Take a deeeeeep breath.........there...feel better? [​IMG] With BYC on your side, you will do just fine! When did you put the eggs in? I would say just leave it alone and get your hygrometer put in there today or tomorrow, then adjust it as needed. Do a search for "dry hatch." My last hatch is 5 days old. I got three healthy chicks from one dozen refrigerated, washed eggs that had 2 roosters with 140 hens!!! The other 9 eggs were not fertile. I kept mine between 30-35% for the first 18 days, then raised it to about 50-they hatched on day 19! [​IMG]
    What kind of eggs do you have?

7. lovemychix

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    I won the auction of [email protected]@2four. I got some very nice silkies from her Show birds. [​IMG]
    I set them yesterday at 1:00 pm.
    I'm just a worry wart I guess. [​IMG]
    Thanks so much for the help. When I get that guage in there I will post humidity.
    I have researched a lot and heard of the dry hatch? What exactly is that? NO water in there at all??

8. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    You won the EXPENSIVE eggs! [​IMG] Okay-I would be worried too! Lol!

ETA: just add water if the humidity drops to 25% or lower [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2009
  9. lovemychix

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Can I get that guage at Walmart? I'm pretty limited to what I can buy around here. We have no shopping. One that works on outside humidity.

10. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    Yes, I really like the white Precision (I think that is what it's called!). I have two like that and they are pretty accurate. They are also the cheapest!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by