1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Water

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chad, Dec 13, 2007.

1. chad

chad Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2007
    Pittston, Maine
    We have a collegial disagreement going on in our house. One of us believes that the chickens will drink cold water out of our outdoor spigot during the winter; the other believes that they prefer warm water in the wintertime, and draws it from the kitchen sink.

Anybody have thoughts/observations?

2. DoctorGoose

DoctorGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2007
    Woodinville,WA
    My chickens drink both. If they're thirsty, they just grab whatever is nearest--besides, the warm water turns cold rather quickly, so it doesn't really matter, as long as it's not frozen. Lately, all our outdoor spigots have been covered, though, so I get it from the warm water in the barn, not as convenient, though.

3. TxChiknRanchers

TxChiknRanchers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    Southeast Texas
    cool water in summer and warm water in winter,not so much warm as not as cold . That being said, they will drink any temp thats liquid.

My experience

Randy

wow DRgoose that was split second timing

Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  4. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    One day last week all the water outside was frozen, but that didn't stop my girls from drinking as soon as the ice was broken in one of the buckets.

5. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    how about each person just does it the way they want. lol. then you don't have to agree at all.

6. Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay

Lazy J Farms Feed & Hay Chillin' With My Peeps

Warm or cold doesn't matter nearly as much as ensuring they have water. Water is the most important, and least examined nutrient needed for life. Just make sure they have access to water all the time.

Jim

7. Ma

Ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    Camanche, Iowa
    Thank goodness.....you're both right! [​IMG]

...."will drink water out of our outdoor spigot......" Yes.

....perfer warm water in the wintertime........Yes.

Chickens "prefer" warm water, but will drink whatever is available. They will even eat snow, if that's all there is. Ah, but preference...that's another thing. [​IMG]

8. hoosierhen

hoosierhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2007
    Indiana
    Shaken, not stirred...with an olive!

9. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    Cold water is fine, they will drink little sips throughout the day and their body temp wont be affected. If for some reason they have been without water for a time (ie it freezes or runs out), bring them warm. If they chug cold water in large amounts it can drop their body temp and chill them, possibly leading to illness if its really cold out. They should be fine if they are in good condition, but weakened, young, or sick birds could be affected.

I suggest a water heater if you have electricity available in the coop or with cords, they cost around 50 bucks, but its totally worth not having to tote water all the time and the water will be warm so you will have no problems.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2007
  10. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

I just ordered 3 heated waters from our local Runnings this way my girls always have water, and no more thawing out frozen waterers. Good Luck finding them. If you need a upc code I can get that for you when they come in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by