Waterer and common questions

Overthinker

Songster
Sep 26, 2021
Hi,
I have a few questions, sorry if there's already threads on this, I'm having trouble finding some specific to this.
I'm getting 12 chicks soon and want to be ready. I bought the premier 1 chick nipple drinker and some nipples from Murdock's ranch.

1. Is one nipple drinker enough for all 12 chicks to get a turn or will some not get a turn? It says up to 15 i think but I'd hate to be in line behind 15 people at a fountain.

2. It's a littler, how fast will it run out?

3. Are chicks strong enough to use this thing?

4. I bought some vitamin/probiotic/electrolyte stuff for the water, do they get that immediately or after a day or two and for how long do i put that in the water?

Thanks for the help!

I made this.
baby bottle close up.png

It probably holds 500 mls. It worked fine for 15 chicks.
babies using bottle.jpg

I changed it daily and checked it whenever I checked on the chicks which were brooded directly in my coop in the built-in brooder. These were shipped chicks and they used it as soon as I showed it to them. Poke it with your finger to get a bit of water on the tip then hold a chick near it so they can see the water glistening. Most will peck it out of curiosity and figure it out. The rest learn by watching the ones that have learned on their own. But observe the to make sure they all get a drink.
I've also had day old hatchlings learn to use it after seeing their mother use it. It is not too strong for them to use.
Give them the electrolytes and probiotics in a second waterer and have it available for the first three days. They should always have plain clean water available.

Which kind of nipples?

The chicks will not be strong enough to use horizontal nipples until they're at least several weeks old but I put a horizontal nipple waterer in after a week or so.

I gave my chicks water with Sav-a-chick in it exclusively for the first half day and then a choice for the next couple days. After that I'll use it only in very hot weather or if an issue appears.

Different people have different methods.

I made this.
View attachment 2847513
View attachment 2847514
I changed it daily and checked it whenever I checked on the chicks which were brooded directly in my coop in the built-in brooder. These were shipped chicks and they used it as soon as I showed it to them. Poke it with your finger to get a bit of water on the tip then hold a chick near it so they can see the water glistening. Most will peck it out of curiosity and figure it out. The rest learn by watching the ones that have learned on their own. But observe the to make sure they all get a drink.
I've also had day old hatchlings learn to use it after seeing their mother use it. It is not too strong for them to use.
Give them the electrolytes and probiotics in a second waterer and have it available for the first three days. They should always have plain clean water available.
Thank you, sounds good!
I'll hang an additional 20 ounce with a nipple for 3 days with the vitamin water. Wonder which they'll choose or if they know one is plain

Which kind of nipples?

The chicks will not be strong enough to use horizontal nipples until they're at least several weeks old but I put a horizontal nipple waterer in after a week or so.

I gave my chicks water with Sav-a-chick in it exclusively for the first half day and then a choice for the next couple days. After that I'll use it only in very hot weather or if an issue appears.

Different people have different
Which kind of nipples?

Different people have different methods.
Vertical nipples
Thank you
Mostly worried if one nipple was enough for 12 chicks and if they strong enough to use it.

Then i asume a feeder with 8 holes will be fine too. I'll get unmedicated grower crumbles. Soy seems the only choice around here

I made this.
View attachment 2847513
View attachment 2847514
Thank you for the help

I'll probably get unmedicated crumbles
Is it okay to have a little tray with dirt and some diotom in the brooder when they arrive or is that too soon for their immunities and such?

Thank you for the help

I'll probably get unmedicated crumbles
Is it okay to have a little tray with dirt and some diotom in the brooder when they arrive or is that too soon for their immunities and such?
Don't use DE around the birds. It is a respiratory irritant and offers no benefits.
I wait until the chicks are about a week old and give them clumps of sod from the yard for them to dig through. It gives them controlled introductions to their future environment and the naturally occurring organisms that exist in it so they can build immunity.
Start them on chick starter or Flock Raiser crumbles. You don't need to give them medicated starter but I would have a bottle of Corid on hand just in case you need it.

Don't use DE around the birds. It is a respiratory irritant and offers no benefits.
I wait until the chicks are about a week old and give them clumps of sod from the yard for them to dig through. It gives them controlled introductions to their future environment and the naturally occurring organisms that exist in it so they can build immunity.
Start them on chick starter or Flock Raiser crumbles. You don't need to give them medicated starter but I would have a bottle of Corid on hand just in case you need it.
Thank you,

Is it okay if i just mix a tiny bit with their wood shavings? I was worried about mites or something.

For the sod, if they eat the grass should i give them a little bowl of grit?

Back
Top Bottom