Waterer for just two hens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by cnd8, Jan 21, 2015.

1. cnd8

cnd8 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 8, 2014
    I have a small coop with just two hens. I'm currently using the traditional, white and red waterer that is placed on the ground atop bricks. However, I am getting tired of the daily (sometimes multiple times a day) cleaning that this waterer requires. Not to mention that it takes up a good solid one square foot of the valuable coop space.

What other watering systems could I use that would be less maintenance without taking up floor space in my coop? I have checked out the fountains, but I am not really fond of the idea that I'd have to have a large container sitting besides or on top of my coop. Any other options?

2. esme13

esme13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2014
    New York
    Chickens are messy [​IMG] as for water solutions there is the option of the chicken nipples. It's bassically a top that you insert to a bottle or bucket and can lay it flat or hang it. You have the choice in size of bottle at least. I'll attach a link for the chicken nipple, I do believe some people even sell some ones they put together. I've also attached an old post on chicken nipples. I personally use the traditional water bucket and just change it every time they get it dirty. For winter time I use a heated dog bowl with a bottle in the middle to prevent them from throwing stuff in it. It does work for me.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/chicken-nipples-anyone

http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail....ferralID=d50f149a-a1a3-11e4-ac6c-001b2166c2c0

3. HighStreetCoop

HighStreetCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Oakland, CA
    My Coop
    I have Chicken Fountain (automatic waterer with nipples). It's awesome. Just a bit of PVC that hangs up and out of the way. Might be a bit of overkill for two birds. You could just buy a bottle cap from him and use it with a 2L soda bottle. That should be good for a couple of days at a time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by