Waterer not automatically filling

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by winstonsgrrrl, Dec 4, 2009.

1. winstonsgrrrl

winstonsgrrrl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2009
    Ohio
    I've got a quail waterer for my chicks that is the kind with the red base and the quart-size plastic jar. My problem is the water in the red base will either be drank or evaporate from the heat lamp, and it's not refilling. every time I check it, it's bone dry and the plastic jar is still full.

2. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Pictures?

3. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    I had a similar, no refill problem with my 3 gallon galvanized waterer, until I realized it was caused by unevenness of the material it was sitting on. Put your waterer on a level surface (check with a level or make sure it's on something like a kitchen counter top). Remove water with a bulb baster, syringe, eyedropper or something like that. Once you remove enough water, it should refill a little. If not, there's a problem with the thing & you should return it to the place you purchased and get a replacement.

4. ThePamperedPullet

ThePamperedPullet Chillin' With My Peeps

Most common problem is that the jar screws too far down into the base. This happens a lot if using mason jars or old mayonaise jars (plastic or glass). Try a different jar in it if you have an extra. You can also try shaving just a bit off the lip of the jar with a razor blade. Usually just a 1/16th of an inch will make all the difference.

5. LAMchop

LAMchop Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    SW VA
    I had this problem with one of those red plastic waterer bases on a mason jar. It never occurred to me to try a different jar [​IMG], but I would screw the base on tightly, then unscrew it a little bit so it was wobbly, and the water could flow out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by