Waterer question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lizrndiver, Nov 3, 2009.

1. lizrndiver

lizrndiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    South Beloit, IL
    While it was still warm, I had a galvanized waterer and one of the plastic heated waters. Both were kept outside the coop and did fine. Now that it is getting below freezing here, I have to move the plastic waterer inside the coop and plugged it in. I have a small coop 4' x4'. I have the waterer up on some blocks, but i can't seem to keep the water clean. It gets filled with shavings everyday. Right now it is still warm enough to dump it and clean it everyday, but I am worried about when it is 2 degrees outside. The waterer is not easy to fill since it fills from the bottom and if I am dumping it everyday, I will end up with a ton of ice around the coop. The height of the lip also makes it so that even if I fill it just a little bit, water sloshes out onto the coop floor every time I unplug it. I would love some suggestions. I am afraid to buy a heated base for the galvanized waterer because it will be around all the shavings. Wouldn't that be a fire hazzard?

Thanks for any advice,

Liz

2. redstars

redstars Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2009
    south dartmouth ma
    Check this out. It might work for you it's from another thread. http://www.rosecombs.ca/heatedwaterer.html
    you can use your galvanized water er on top of this.
    That's what I'm going to do.looks pretty easy to make.
    I wouldn't think it would be too much of a fire hazzard with the tin cover on the bottom like that.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2009
  3. lizrndiver

lizrndiver Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    South Beloit, IL
    Thanks!!! That looks great. Any ideas on how to keep the shavings out? Should I just keep raising it up?

Liz

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The higher you raise it, the cleaner it will be. Your coop may be too small for this, but I saw a post on here where someone elevated the waterer quite high and made it so they had to walk up a plank to get to it and stand on the plank to drink. It was high enough up that they could not get shavings in it.

5. sbates

sbates Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2009
    Hampstead
    I had the same problems that you list.. In fact I think use the exact same waterer as you.. A plastic heated one with a rubber plug on the bottom??? Anyway, I moved the entire rig OUTSIDE of the coop. and it was absolutely fine in terms of freezing. It sometimes hits 2o below and it doesn't freeze. Try it!

6. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

I raise mine up on blocks but I also don't put any shavings around the radius of the waterer when I clean the coop.
    I know they can still kick some shavings over that way but not as much and I haven't had a problem with it.

7. ijon1

ijon1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    gaines, michigan
    I bought a tin hog feeder pan. It looks to be same size of the heater that they sell. I put in a cord with hard light bulb fixture. I am going to experiment with light bulb size. I also covered the bottom with metal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by