Waterer rat question

wendy2012

Chirping
Apr 20, 2020
Do chicken nipples on 5 gallon buckets attract rats? Going away for a week and would love to know how it went with nipples to give water to chickies and if and any rat problems.

Also, for the food dispenser where a metal rod is inserted in a 5 gallon bucket on the bottom so chickens can peck and food dispenses out. No waste and no rat problem. How was that for you?

Any other diy rat proof food and waterer ideas? Or any on the market that are rat proof?

So far for 3 years been taking food and water out every night to not see rat problems. So far this definitely works but going away for a week so need something that works.

Do chicken nipples on 5 gallon buckets attract rats? Going away for a week and would love to know how it went with nipples to give water to chickies and if and any rat problems.

Also, for the food dispenser where a metal rod is inserted in a 5 gallon bucket on the bottom so chickens can peck and food dispenses out. No waste and no rat problem. How was that for you?

Any other diy rat proof food and waterer ideas? Or any on the market that are rat proof?

So far for 3 years been taking food and water out every night to not see rat problems. So far this definitely works but going away for a week so need something that works.
I don’t think rats will be able to drink from the nipples. I’m assuming your talking horizontal and not vertical? Rats can definitely drink from fountain waterers, but I’ve never seen nor heard of nipples.

I don’t know about feeders. I just hang mine, and rats don’t usually have the energy to jump into mine, plus I feel there’s lest waste because the chickens peck all the scraps on the ground.

I’ve heard people recommend the ‘Grandpa Feeder’

Is it possible to have someone come and watch the chickens? I worry that they’ll run out of food/water and the eggs will pile high.

Back
Top Bottom