Waterer

Sydney65

Crowing
Aug 2, 2019
Indiana
The waterer I have sprung a leak w/i a year. The one I wanted has been out of stock, so I ended up w/a cheaper one. The one I wanted is finally back in stock, so I thought I'd share incase anyone finds themselves in need or just wants to upgrade. It isn't cheap, but the one I had that failed was only $10 less, and far less sturdy. https://www.premier1supplies.com/c/poultry-supplies/waterers-and-accessories
1608855126603.png

The waterer I have sprung a leak w/i a year. The one I wanted has been out of stock, so I ended up w/a cheaper one. The one I wanted is finally back in stock, so I thought I'd share incase anyone finds themselves in need or just wants to upgrade. It isn't cheap, but the one I had that failed was only $10 less, and far less sturdy. https://www.premier1supplies.com/c/poultry-supplies/waterers-and-accessories
View attachment 2462572
I don’t have electric at the coops, unfortunately, so I’ve bot used an electric waterer. I’m so use similar horizontal nipple waterers for chickens, but my guineas don’t seem to like the nipple waterers much so they get a more traditional waterer. Do yours like the nipple waterer?

I don’t have electric at the coops, unfortunately, so I’ve bot used an electric waterer. I’m so use similar horizontal nipple waterers for chickens, but my guineas don’t seem to like the nipple waterers much so they get a more traditional waterer. Do yours like the nipple waterer?
Yes, I've seen ppl c/o their guineas not figuring out the nipple waterers, but mine took to them right away. In the brooder they had the buttons they had to push to fill the little cup, so the nipples are easier. As keets I had to press the button and fill the cup for them until they finally figured it out. Mine doesn't have electricity, either -another reason I like this, bc the cord can be removed for the summer or filling. He replaced a regular outdoor outlet w/one that is covered & has a circuit breaker & alarm. The waterer is connected by an extension cord.
I love this one-it's double-walled, the lid screws on so they can't knock it off & dirty the water. Ppl look @me funny when I say it's made like a GOTT. Remember these?! 20201226_110407.jpg

Yes, I've seen ppl c/o their guineas not figuring out the nipple waterers, but mine took to them right away. In the brooder they had the buttons they had to push to fill the little cup, so the nipples are easier. As keets I had to press the button and fill the cup for them until they finally figured it out. Mine doesn't have electricity, either -another reason I like this, bc the cord can be removed for the summer or filling. He replaced a regular outdoor outlet w/one that is covered & has a circuit breaker & alarm. The waterer is connected by an extension cord.
I love this one-it's double-walled, the lid screws on so they can't knock it off & dirty the water. Ppl look @me funny when I say it's made like a GOTT. Remember these?!View attachment 2463971
I don’t remember GOTT, but I have one of those giant insulated “Gatorade dispensers” in red!

My first group of guineas did get trained to nipple waterers as keets and they will use the horizontal ones now, but they don’t like them very much, as assessed by water consumption and time at the waterer. Since anytime I’m confining them I figure it’s stressful enough, I just give them what they seem to prefer, which are dog bowls and plastic water fonts. When they are free ranging, they love drinking at the ponds.

I don’t remember GOTT, but I have one of those giant insulated “Gatorade dispensers” in red!

My first group of guineas did get trained to nipple waterers as keets and they will use the horizontal ones now, but they don’t like them very much, as assessed by water consumption and time at the waterer. Since anytime I’m confining them I figure it’s stressful enough, I just give them what they seem to prefer, which are dog bowls and plastic water fonts. When they are free ranging, they love drinking at the ponds.
Mine have sources when free-ranging, but this time of year, their coop water would be a block of ice w/o heat. I'm waiting for it to warm up today just so I can clean the drop boards. Lol.

Mine have sources when free-ranging, but this time of year, their coop water would be a block of ice w/o heat. I'm waiting for it to warm up today just so I can clean the drop boards. Lol.
We’ve had some cold days and nights, but Oklahoma fluctuates so much! When the nighttime lows are 28F or below, we bring the waterers into the garage and then put them back out in the morning. Today we have highs in the 50s so all ice has melted!

I have the waterer you pictured and am very happy with it. My chickens know how to use the nipples, but are being stubborn. I lost the test of wills. :barnie

I'm still using the waterer but I take the red cover off. I put a small crate next to it so they can hop up and drink. It's high enough off the floor so it doesn't get dirty. Despite being uncovered, the water doesn't freeze. I cover it at night to save electricity.

I know, I'm a sucker for letting my chickens have their way. :rolleyes:

We’ve had some cold days and nights, but Oklahoma fluctuates so much! When the nighttime lows are 28F or below, we bring the waterers into the garage and then put them back out in the morning. Today we have highs in the 50s so all ice has melted!
We hovered around 11° for 2 days, just now 37° so was finally able to let them out to enjoy some sunshine & scoop. I decided quickly yesterday I risked putting an eye out trying to pry anything up.:eek:
Afterwards I sat in the sunshine w/them for awhile. Although the twins still won't eat from my hand, necessity breeds bravery, I guess. The elders chase them from snack time, so I sneak their share right behind or beside me, & they've figured out that's a safe place to partake.

Back
Top Bottom