waterer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jimz1, Aug 24, 2011.

1. jimz1

jimz1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Coleman, Wi
    I've got one of those hanging waterers in the coop. The chickens keep splashing or spilling water out of it and it is getting the floor all wet. Does anyone know what I can do to prevent this from happening or to keep the floor from getting wet?

2. farmerinKC

farmerinKC Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I just set mine on an overturned flower pot-one where the bottom of the flower pot was the same size as the bottom of the waterer. It has worked out pretty good for me. [​IMG]

3. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

I would recommend to make a nipple waterer.
    [​IMG]

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yeah - if they're jiggling it a lot like it sounds they are, farmerinkc's suggestion sounds like the plan [​IMG]

5. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    I put mine up on concrete blocks. But I still kept a small chain hanging from the ceiling over it. That keeps the birds from jumping up on top of the waterer. Yeah, those chickens can get pretty rammy at times.
    Jack

6. jimz1

jimz1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Coleman, Wi
    That waterer looks great! how do I get them to drink from the nipples? How many do I put in for 15 chickens?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  7. colebarnhart

Quote:They make them red in color because they have a natural instinct to peck at all things red. They just seem to figure it out very quick, you can push on one and get a drip of water hanging and when one starts that will peak the interest of the others and then it's a done deal. You can get the pvc at lowe's or home depot and the nipples from farmtek, ebay, or other places.

8. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Two nipples are plenty for 15 birds. If they are all about the same size.
    They peck at the nipple because of the shiny stainless steel trigger pin. Research shows that red, then yellow, are the colors that most attract a chickens attention. For turkeys it is green. They are attracted by the color but will peck at the shiny first.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  9. Honeysucklefeathers

Honeysucklefeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2011
    western KY
    I put mine on a concrete block. Works great.

10. colebarnhart

Check on the BYC section where people have posted pics and "how-to's" of the feeders and waterers they made. You can use a 5 gal water bucket also. Some will just blow you away and are just amazing and look like something from an ACME roadrunner&coyote creation. One guy had a constant fresh flow of water thru the pipes and throughout the day it would fill up a container that controlled his pop door, then it would get pumped and filtered back to the top container to start the next day and would then open the door for his flock!!! It was freakin' genius!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by