waterer

jimz1

Songster
9 Years
Jun 6, 2010
Coleman, Wi
I've got one of those hanging waterers in the coop. The chickens keep splashing or spilling water out of it and it is getting the floor all wet. Does anyone know what I can do to prevent this from happening or to keep the floor from getting wet?

I just set mine on an overturned flower pot-one where the bottom of the flower pot was the same size as the bottom of the waterer. It has worked out pretty good for me.
smile.png

I put mine up on concrete blocks. But I still kept a small chain hanging from the ceiling over it. That keeps the birds from jumping up on top of the waterer. Yeah, those chickens can get pretty rammy at times.
Jack

That waterer looks great! how do I get them to drink from the nipples? How many do I put in for 15 chickens?

Last edited:
Quote:
They make them red in color because they have a natural instinct to peck at all things red. They just seem to figure it out very quick, you can push on one and get a drip of water hanging and when one starts that will peak the interest of the others and then it's a done deal. You can get the pvc at lowe's or home depot and the nipples from farmtek, ebay, or other places.

Two nipples are plenty for 15 birds. If they are all about the same size.
They peck at the nipple because of the shiny stainless steel trigger pin. Research shows that red, then yellow, are the colors that most attract a chickens attention. For turkeys it is green. They are attracted by the color but will peck at the shiny first.

Last edited:
Check on the BYC section where people have posted pics and "how-to's" of the feeders and waterers they made. You can use a 5 gal water bucket also. Some will just blow you away and are just amazing and look like something from an ACME roadrunner&coyote creation. One guy had a constant fresh flow of water thru the pipes and throughout the day it would fill up a container that controlled his pop door, then it would get pumped and filtered back to the top container to start the next day and would then open the door for his flock!!! It was freakin' genius!!!

Back
Top Bottom