Waterers- cups or nipples?

Cup or Nipple?

• Cup

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • Nipple

Votes: 6 37.5%

• Total voters
How are you keeping the water in the cups from freezing during the winter. I made a waterer out of a five gallon bucket with the watering cups mounted in the bottom with a bucket heater in the bucket and while the water in the bucket didn't freeze, the water in the cups did freeze and basically made the setup unusable. I went back to the heated dog bowl after that.

During the warm weather months, the chickens showed no interest in using the cups even after showing a few of them how to use the cups. I finally just went back to using bowls.

Wayne

Well, I just keep the entire coop above freezing--that way the cups don't freeze, and it also protects my large-combed males from getting frostbitten. I do this by using a simple space heater; the place isn't even insulated but it still manages to keep it (most of the time) above freezing.

I vote for both cups and nipples. We use 5 gallon buckets with nipples on the bottom and cups around the sides. That way the chicks can drink from the nipples and the larger birds drink from the cups. They are hung from a chain on S hooks and we adjust them up and down depending what size birds we have in the coop. Too clean the cups just get a small brush, Works great.

How are you keeping the water in the cups from freezing during the winter. I made a waterer out of a five gallon bucket with the watering cups mounted in the bottom with a bucket heater in the bucket and while the water in the bucket didn't freeze, the water in the cups did freeze and basically made the setup unusable. I went back to the heated dog bowl after that.

During the warm weather months, the chickens showed no interest in using the cups even after showing a few of them how to use the cups. I finally just went back to using bowls.

Wayne
Hmm. That's too bad... well, I'll try both cups and nipples. I hope I never have to use traditional waterers, they seem very hard to keep clean... I really want cups and/or nipples to work.

I vote for both cups and nipples. We use 5 gallon buckets with nipples on the bottom and cups around the sides. That way the chicks can drink from the nipples and the larger birds drink from the cups. They are hung from a chain on S hooks and we adjust them up and down depending what size birds we have in the coop. Too clean the cups just get a small brush, Works great.
Thanks! That's a good idea.. I think I'll do something similar. How high off the ground is your bucket?

-Thea

Last edited:
5 gallon bucket with nipples and the lid on keeps the water crystal clean. I kept adjusting the height until I had it where they had to reach a little bit for them and has been working great.

Aside from heating the coop, is there any way to prevent the cup waterers from freezing? It gets very cold at night here.

I use a 5 gallon bucket, With cups around the side and nipples on the bottom. When the cups start to freeze I just raise the bucket so they are using the nipples on the bottom. The nipples stay ice free with a heater in the bucket.

@432bullet : Thanks for your input! Great to know that the nipples don't freeze, that's just what I need. (And your avatar dog is adorable.)

@LoneOak : Your helpful posts about the horizontal spring-loaded nipples have convinced me that these are the ones I want. I will be ordering some momentarily.

highfive.gif
to all!

Back
Top Bottom