Waterers & Feeders for quail

8hams

In the Brooder
Apr 13, 2023
It’s time to get my 2 week old chicks out of their crowded plastic tub and into a more permanent home. I’ve got a plan for the coop, but what should I choose for food and water? I’d love to have a system where they could be left virtually unattended for 3-4 days. The quart jar isn’t cutting it anymore😉

Depends on your setup. I have battery type cages for the breeders and a coop setup for grow outs. Battery cages have an external food trough they have to poke their heads out (it is in a predator proof enclosed porch so no worries about them poking their head out to eat). For the outside coop I use a plastic lidded tub with anti waste food tubes glued into it (if quail can dig in their food they will and throw it everywhere). For water the battery cages have horizontal waterers with a 5 gallon tub on top so they always have water, the outdoor I have several vertical water containers so I can have water in various parts, if I had to keep them out there for longer id go with another system similar to the battery with a 5 gallon container feeding into a watering system.

My Tupperware setup with waste-reducing portals has worked really well for me so far (disclaimer: as of today I've only tried it in the brooder, not yet in the aviary, but I assume it will be even better where it can be more elevated and they aren't kicking aspen shavings into the portals every day 😅). I've only needed to top it up every 7 days or so (and pick the shavings out of the portals every day 🙄). In the aviary I'll set it up on some pavers to elevate it a bit more. I have it set up with 4 portals accessible now, in the aviary all 8 will be accessible (the total flock will be 6 birds at that time).

For water, I plan to run a PVC pipe along the side of the aviary with these auto-filling cups. I'll attach the pipe to a large 2-gallon jug that we will top up as needed, and make sure it's all disassemble-able for ease of cleaning.

Back
Top Bottom