Waterers icing over - please help

We use a one-gallon heated dog bowl, placed up on a cement block (to keep out most of the debris that the ladies kick around). It gets plenty cold here in Minnesota, but we've used the same bowl for probably at least 5 years, and it works like a charm. Easy to do occasional water changes, and easy for the girls to drink out of, also. :)

i've put a waterer inside the coop for now - going to look into getting a larger size that i can insulate and leave in the run. i could maybe drill a few holes in this 5gallon water container i have and then screw the droppers into it.
thanks for your help!
Post a pic of what you are using now, please?

It is important to use horizontal nipples rather than vertical nipples during winter. The horizontal nipples have a little O ring that keeps water out of the nipple when not in use. The vertical ones do not. That little bit of water in the vertical nipple can cause the nipple itself to freeze even though the water in the container is thawed.
Yes!!

update - we've since bought some of those horizontal nipples and connected them to a 5 gallon water container. chooks only took a couple minutes to learn to use them. hopefully this solves the problem (and also no longer need to fill the little waterers every day ha)

Back
Top Bottom