Waterers

ihvpower

Songster
12 Years
Aug 26, 2009
Uxbridge MA
OK. I have the five gallon Galvanized Steel waterer for the girls. I see that it has a handle so that it can be hung. Is there a difference if I hang the waterer or set it on the floor? Will hanging it keep the water cleaner, longer? It's usually filthy five minutes after I clean and re-fill it. Also, it's going to get down to 37 degrees tonight. What is too cold for them and when will I need a heat source?

I use an 8 gal double wall fountain and it is hung and works great. Chickens will drink water as long as it is liquid. I use a heat lamp in the coop and do not have a problem with frozen fountains.

BTW I live in central Iowa and it does get cold here.

Hi and thanks for the response. I cleaned out the Hen-House and put the (8 Gallon) water up on blocks in an effort to keep it cleaner.
When I mentioned the temperature, what I meant was what temperature is too cold for the chickens. I know that many people do not use any heat source in the Winter but I know I will be nervous or feel guilty if the temperature gets to 15 degrees or colder and they have no heat. Thoughts??

It all depends on the coop & type of chickens. I have a 6x8 plywood shed that I converted to a coop. I have 2 vents that I leave open most of the time & a window that I close in the cold when it gets below 35* & they are fine. I have 9 that roost together for body heat. I am in NY suburbs so the temps dont go that low that I had any deaths. I give a little extra scratch

Thank you..Has anyone on here have chickens that actually died from the cold????
hu.gif

Also,

In the BYC Faqs page, it says that chickens can go outside between (I think it says 10-12 weeks)? My original flock of 8 is 10 weeks old and fully feathered. And my newest members are 6 weeks and also fully feathered. Can someone look at my page on the "Girls at 10 weeks" and tell me if they are looking fat? My friends chickens look much leaner than mine. I give the girls lots of worms and crickets on top of scraps and such...maybe too much???

Fire hazard?

I have purchased a plug in base for a galvanized waterer. I have not plugged it in yet because it is not quite cold enough to need it yet but I will need it soon. I am nervous about fire hazard. With all of the wood chips and feathers from my molting chickens could this base start a fire?

Back
Top Bottom