watering baby chicks

chickennewbi669

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 5, 2012
just ordered baby chicks, have never done this before. will baby chicks take water from nipples or do we have to use another method, thanks.

If you go to a feed store you should be able to get a special waterer for them! hope this helps!
big_smile.png

My two week old chicks have been drinking happily out of a shallow bowl since they were two days old. So long as they can get their heads over the rim, and it isn't deep enough for them to jump in and get soaked and a chill (or drown), I think it'll work fine. :)

You can get a chick water top at most feed stores, it is big enough to put their small beaks in and prevents drowning. When they get a little bigger I use a bigger lid with a quart ball jar and just put small stones in the water so they can't get to far into the water. Never tried nipple waterers with chicks, we would like to get all the chickens on those, so if it works for you let us know.

I started mine on nipples since day 1. Offered regular watered for the first days just to make sure they figure out the nipples.

Just drilled a hole in a Gatorade bottle cap, ran a screw up thru the bottom into a 2x2 and ran thru the top of my brooder. Just stick some woodblocks under to raise it up as they grow. Oh and make sure you poke a vent hole in the bottom of the bottle.

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor and buy the right equipment to do the job. They make chick waters and feeders for about $4 a piece. Yes, they will out grow them in a matter of a week or two, but are designed to give chicks access without risk of them doing something foolish like drowning.

I started mine on nipples since day 1. Offered regular watered for the first days just to make sure they figure out the nipples.
I have a nipple waterer in with my chicks as well as the regular old mason jar waterer. I have had it in with them for more than a week but have yet to see one use it. I guess if I sat long enough and watched I would see it. I didn't put much water in it so I can't really tell by the water level. Plus I change it daily. How did you know that all of them were using the nipple waterer? Did you see them using it regularly?

I have 1 wk old using the nipple water... When i introduced it to them i tapped it with my fingers... Grab each one and tap it gently with there beak to show them that water would come put when tapped... then i place them down and tapped again with my finger and watched... They followed by tapping it with there beak..... Snce im a stay at home mom i just made to tap it thru out the day to remind them for the 1st couple of days... Now i see them use it regularly .

Back
Top Bottom