Watering Cornish cross

Hi. First time with cornish x and nearly done with tractor build. I will have 30 in a 6x10 hoop style mobile tractor. I have feeders and security handled already but need guidance on watering. View attachment 3516805
I’ve planned for two 5 gal buckets with autofill cups to offer better hydration than horizontal nipple waterers. I am not sure how many cups I need per bucket though because I imagine them crowding feeders more so than waterers…am I wrong there?
There are two sizes of cups- regular (shown) or large which is 3 inches diameter. I can prob fit 5-6 reg size cups versus 3 large cups per bucket— but that is guessing.
My concerns are breakage leading to emptied buckets, spacing of cups leading to crowding at the cups.

I think the larger cups would be more problematic pertaining to my concerns but would love to get opinions.

TIA😊View attachment 3516803
This probably won't work for you, but I hung my feeders and waterers on chains from the ceiling. I could adjust the height as needed. I wanted them to stand tall as they ate and drank. Just used a regular chicken waterer. It was circular so they could get all around it. Good luck on your enterprise.

This probably won't work for you, but I hung my feeders and waterers on chains from the ceiling. I could adjust the height as needed. I wanted them to stand tall as they ate and drank. Just used a regular chicken waterer. It was circular so they could get all around it. Good luck on your enterprise.
My original gutter feeder plan was to suspend from ceiling, but in a trial filled with 6 lb feed the units tipped. My ideal water setup will be an enclosed system to keep it cleaner because my work schedule will only allow me to tend early morning and evenings, and the pasture has no close access to water ( other than what I haul).

My original gutter feeder plan was to suspend from ceiling, but in a trial filled with 6 lb feed the units tipped. My ideal water setup will be an enclosed system to keep it cleaner because my work schedule will only allow me to tend early morning and evenings, and the pasture has no close access to water ( other than what I haul).
I had regular round chicken waterers meant to sit on the ground. I just had snap on the end of a chain. The snap was on the handle. I may have done something so the snap was stationary and couldn't slide one way or the other. I never had any trouble with it tipping. My feeders were those conventional round chicken feeders too. They weren't made to hang either but I hung them. I am just throwing that in for what it is worth. I was fortunate to have an ideal almost labor free way to raise my chickens.

I had regular round chicken waterers meant to sit on the ground. I just had snap on the end of a chain. The snap was on the handle. I may have done something so the snap was stationary and couldn't slide one way or the other. I never had any trouble with it tipping. My feeders were those conventional round chicken feeders too. They weren't made to hang either but I hung them. I am just throwing that in for what it is worth. I was fortunate to have an ideal almost labor free way to raise my chickens.
I appreciate your ideas, thx

Link to the gutter feeder setup I used. If you mount it to the side of the tractor, could probably make it mobile pretty easily. Mine needed support on middle and both ends when it was full of feed. I use wire to keep the top in place and slide the gutters in and out of the cinder blocks as needed for cleaning every few months. Could use a hose also, since you have a mobile coop and can just move it over.

Link to the gutter feeder setup I used. If you mount it to the side of the tractor, could probably make it mobile pretty easily. Mine needed support on middle and both ends when it was full of feed. I use wire to keep the top in place and slide the gutters in and out of the cinder blocks as needed for cleaning every few months. Could use a hose also, since you have a mobile coop and can just move it over.
Here’s an idea of my intended set up. I placed gutters on the sides and back wall with 3 supports each, and added a shelf that can be used as a step to discourage them from climbing in (but they will anyway). When the wheels are engaged the feeders and supports clear the ground.
I’m using this unit as a brooder first, and will add the gutter feeders at about two weeks. At three weeks they will be out to pasture.

Attachments

• IMG_2686.jpeg
    IMG_2686.jpeg
    631.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2683.jpeg
    IMG_2683.jpeg
    748 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2720.jpeg
    IMG_2720.jpeg
    745 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom