Watering Dish Idea......it Works!!!

I use a dog waterer in their duck house. It is to small for them to swim in it. It holds 2.75 gallon of water and we fill it a little bit over the half mark. So they get about 1.5 gallon per night. I have a 1" deep tray below it.
029695243073C.jpg

http://www.petco.com/product/6998/P...r-in-Mystic-Blue.aspx?CoreCat=FamilyCrossSell
Perhaps you try feeding them 3 times per day and take the water away after they finished their food. That way they learn that water goes with food and not for playing time. They are old enough to handle the 3 times per day feeding now.

Last edited:
LOL, tried that one too! I've tried trays, pans, filled with the wood stall and over flowing of water and muddy pellet dust.

I free feed. I always thought ducks needed constant water that you can't take away. Shoot, if that is the case that there will save me time and mess also.

I do the free feed until they are about 10-12 weeks old. (Mine would gorge on food all day, if I let them. Don't need fat ducks.) After that it is twice per day when they are outdoors, because they eat bugs etc all day long. Now we have snow on the ground so I feed 3 times per day. They need the water with the food, so once done eating you can take the water away about 5 minutes later. They will be fine with that, but be prepared that they will attack the food bowl when the food comes around. At first and then they will ease off as they get used to it.

LOL, I have 2-4wks of free feeding. But I will certainly do taking of the water away at that time to. What toys would you suggest I put in for them? Like I said, I have the hanging bird bells in there now. I know Oreo LOVED to sit in the kiddie pool with one hanging off the chicken wire of the deck and ring a ding the bell.

Actually now that I thought about it, I'll start doing the food/water 2X a day when I get back from Vegas just in case no one comes up twice a day to feed/water them. So I have to let them free feed/water until after I get back, if we go. My dh is still waiting on his R&R approval.

Actually now that I thought about it, I'll start doing the food/water 2X a day when I get back from Vegas just in case no one comes up twice a day to feed/water them, well I know someone won't 2x a day. So I have to let them free feed/water until after I get back, if we go. My dh is still waiting on his R&R approval.

Well the bedding is still getting wet, but as I said not as bad. It's not fool proof just saves of frequency of changing water and bedding. Ducks are ducks, no way around it and their sloppiness.

Back
Top Bottom