Watering in the winter

Mamachuck

Chirping
Sep 15, 2018
Living in northwest Indiana and winter is upon us. The water for my chucks is freezing nightly. Not even truly winter yet ☹️.
I thought I saw an article about adding salt to the water to help prevent this. Also rubber dishes? Any help is appreciated! Thanks

Haven't ever heard about that salt thing, but I would think that it is not good for chickens to drink salt water. I know for humans that drinking salt water actually dehydrates you instead of hydrating.

Buy a heated bucket and screw nipples into it. Works like a charm for me!

Actually salt helps you retain fluids. I have low blood volume and my dr recommend salt capsules and salt water. It really helps! I don’t know if it would be a good idea for chickens.

Haven't ever heard about that salt thing, but I would think that it is not good for chickens to drink salt water. I know for humans that drinking salt water actually dehydrates you instead of hydrating.[/QUOT

That’s true. It was a not table salt, can’t remember. The ratio is very small.

There are several different things you can try to keep your water from freezing. The black rubber bowls will allow the water to freeze. They are used by many because it is fairly easy to turn them over and stomp the ice out of them before refilling with water. Rubber bowls require that you go out and replace the water 2 or 3 times a day. These are used by those who do not have electricity to their coop or do not wish to use electricity.

Abriana mentioned using a heated bucket. Those work well with the horizontal, not vertical nipples. Vertical nipples freeze faster than horizontal ones. This requires electricity to the coop. I use a heavy duty extension cord to an outside outlet.

If you are using a metal font type waterer you could use the cookie tin method. This is putting a light bulb into a cookie tin and setting the waterer on top.

You can also use your own container. Some use a 5 gallon bucket, some use a large plastic container or jug with lid. I use a 10 gallon tote with lid. You can then use a stock tank deicer inside. Some people prefer an aquarium heater. With horizontal nipples this works very well. It had gotten down to -22 F here and the birds had thawed water.

There are several different things you can try to keep your water from freezing. The black rubber bowls will allow the water to freeze. They are used by many because it is fairly easy to turn them over and stomp the ice out of them before refilling with water. Rubber bowls require that you go out and replace the water 2 or 3 times a day. These are used by those who do not have electricity to their coop or do not wish to use electricity.

Abriana mentioned using a heated bucket. Those work well with the horizontal, not vertical nipples. Vertical nipples freeze faster than horizontal ones. This requires electricity to the coop. I use a heavy duty extension cord to an outside outlet.

If you are using a metal font type waterer you could use the cookie tin method. This is putting a light bulb into a cookie tin and setting the waterer on top.

You can also use your own container. Some use a 5 gallon bucket, some use a large plastic container or jug with lid. I use a 10 gallon tote with lid. You can then use a stock tank deicer inside. Some people prefer an aquarium heater. With horizontal nipples this works very well. It had gotten down to -22 F here and the birds had thawed water.

Thank you. I do have electricity to the coop. I think I’ll have to get a heater. We do get into the negatives once we are in full swing of winter.

I have a question.
I'm getting power run to my coop later this week. I've got 5 gallon buckets with horizontal nipples. The temps here can be -45c for up to a week at a time. Would an aquarium heater suffice to keep the water thawed, or do I need a livestock bucket heater?

I have a question.
I'm getting power run to my coop later this week. I've got 5 gallon buckets with horizontal nipples. The temps here can be -45c for up to a week at a time. Would an aquarium heater suffice to keep the water thawed, or do I need a livestock bucket heater?
Livestock heater and use a GFI cord too incase of malfunction it shuts off power so fires and electrocution won't happen.

Back
Top Bottom