Watering in the Winter

Thanks, woodmort!

I have a leftover "stepping stone" garden paver left over from another project this summer, so I'll keep that in mind to try underneath if I go with that setup.

I use the 5 gallon pail with "drip on demand spouts" (aka "nipples") and am ordering a submersible de-icer to keep the water from freezing...
smile.png
It comes on at 35 degrees and then shuts off automatically. I don't really want to "heat" my water, just keep it from freezing....and am looking forward to not having to break ice up here in chilly NH!
wink.png

I just bought 9 silkies a couple of weeks ago, and had them switched to "drip on demand" waterers in an hour, it's all they use now...since I have several size birds/chicks in this coop, I have 2 small rabbit waterers down low for the chicks and a pvc pipe with 3 spouts up higher for the larger birds...once their house is insulated I plan to get a smaller bucket (than 5 gallons, probably 3) for them and have 2 "spouts" (I REALLY hate that they're called "nipples"!) directly on the bottom of the bucket and a spout on a tube that will hang down lower for the chick until it is tall enough to reach the other spouts. I'll make it with a "quick disconnect" so that I can remove the tube when not needed.

I am SOLD on the "drip on demand" style of providing water! NO mess, EASY to provide clean. fresh water to the birds at all times!
smile.png

chicnchic: I also transitioned to the drip style waterer and am thrilled not to have to clean out the galvanized feed store waterer I was using. Where did you get your submersible heater? I was looking at one at TSC and it looked like you are supposed to ground it.

We use 250 watt utility de-icer from TSC or Orscheln farm and home in a 7 to 15 gal plastic utility pan. They are safe for plastic or metal containers and will turn off if the water container goes dry so it wont burn up. They also make a 500 watt utility de-icer if you want to leave your water pan out side. Here is the web site for the heaters.
www.farminnovators.com

I got a heated dog dish from Wal Mart.com for under $20. If you live close enough to a Wal Mart, it can be delivered to the store for free.

Bear Foot Farm's suggestion about a lightbulb in a box is a great way to go. I noticed someone in upstate NY thought he was too far north for that method, but I disagree. Though I just moved south, for the last 4 years I lived way up in Northern Michgan where winter seems to last a full 6 months---lots of snow, hard blizzards, and sustained freezing temps. I used a lightbulb/box over which I placed my water bowl. It never froze. I did try it with a larger bowl that DID freeze at the top.

I guess it depends on a lot of factors. I had moved my chicks into a pole barn and set up an indoor cage/run for them during the winter months. The pole barn was not insulated (just steel) but in there I had no wind chill issues to deal with.

But you do have added electricity to worry about. I'll in favor of keeping costs down. Since I already had another bulb running for light (to keep egg production up), I eventually discontinued using the heater. I found it easier just to go out twice a day with fresh water. They don't wast time drinking, so they get plenty before it freezes. Keep in mind that in the wild (before chickens were domesticated) they didn't sit around all day at a river or pond. The scavenged for food AND water. Having access to water a few times per day is just fine (sure, it's better and more convenient to always have water...but my point is that when its not practical to do so we shouldn't fret too much).

when using a pet bowl, is it safe to put it directly on the floor with bedding and wood chips? or should they be elevated off the floor? I bought 2 dishes (I have 2 coops) that each hold 1.5gal and they are quite tall, I'm just concerned what is too tall for my girls to drink from? Thanks!
Michele

I need advice on finding a waterer that will water all of my critters, including my messy ducks.
do the inexpensive pet bowls work for ducks that share with goats?

Back
Top Bottom