1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Watering Problem with Chukars

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by drbradclark, Jul 21, 2010.

1. drbradclark

drbradclark Hatching

Dec 3, 2007
    I have 6 Chukar Partritdges in an large indoor flight. I have tried different types of bedding material but no matter what I use they take this stuff and pack it in the water. I first used an open water dish which they filled full od shreaded newspaper. I tried wood chip bedding and went to a round galvanized chicken trough waterer. They still take the wood chips and pack it into the water. I still give them newspaper because they have so much fun ripping it to shreads. Also, they are about 5 months old. Should they have some type of nest boxes? And what do they use for nest boxes? Can anyone help me with this watering deal and is there a way to keep stuff out of the water? They seem to put a lot of effort into packing stuff into the water.

2. Quail's Hollar Farm

Quail's Hollar Farm Chirping

Jul 1, 2010
    Try elevating the water dishes, that may help.

3. I use rodent bottles from day 1.

Might have to squeeze the bottle and drip some water out, but once at least 1 gets the idea, the rest WILL follow . . .

Get rid of the flat, open dishes.

4. scruffysmom

scruffysmom In the Brooder

May 31, 2010
    Have you tried chicken nipples? I got mine from Farm Tek and attached them to a hanging lidded bucket. All my guineas, chicken and turkeys use it. I only had to show a few of them how to use it.

5. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Songster

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    All of my birds also use chicken nipples. I have them hooked up to a water line with a pressure reducer and never have to clean or fill water. I do live in Texas and we only get about 2 weeks a year with below freezing temps. I also have a valve on the end of my lines to flush from time to time.

6. Yeah, mine will also drink from an Edstrom Valve, similar to the poultry nipples but more geared for rabbits.
    These valves work off a low pressure/gravity system as well, but now I use for my rabbits.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by