Watering Solutions

HunterH

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jan 17, 2015
I've done a lot of searching and still not sure what I should use. I think I'm going to use horizontal (side mounted) nipples on big plastic jars inside their cages...how old will a coturnix need to be to use them? They're the spring loaded ones that they have to hit with their beaks.

What should I use in the brooder boxes from the time they hatch? How tall can the little chicks jump/climb? I have a couple stainless steel dishes that I could fill with marbles about 5" across but they're 1.25" tall...seems a bit tall until they're a few weeks old...

Do you have chickens or ducks? For chicken nipple waterers should be okay. But for ducks you need something they can dip their bills in, too wash out their sinuses. From the day they hatch I use a half gallon waterer.

I train mine to use horizontal waterer at around 2-3 weeks. May take a little time - take out other water source, use a thin, small stick to poke the nipple from a distance so water would sip out, wait for some chicks to take it. Once a few of them get it, the rest will follow.

For the first 2 weeks I use the standard chicken waterer jar and base type. With the larger base you need to use marbles to prevent drowning. Lately I used the small base like the following link and not bother with marbles:

http://incubatorwarehouse.com/little-giant-waterer-730.html

Back
Top Bottom