Watering the duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tmulleady, Aug 30, 2014.

1. tmulleady

tmulleady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2014
    Southwest Missouri
    Got a question that I hope you experts can help me with [​IMG] I have one duck that stays with my chickens. I am thinking about making an automatic water system with nipples for them. Will Ducky be able to use a nipple system? Since he does not have a pointy beak I did not know if he could manage it. I haven't actually seen these nipple systems, so I have no idea how they work. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

2. KARy408

KARy408 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2014
    Livermore, CA
    I can't speak to the nipple system at all, but ducks need to be able to dunk their heads in water (to clear out their nostrils!). So even if you try the nipple system you'll still need to provide a bucket or open water system of some sort for head dunking (I just use an up-turned gravity waterer with the base removed). If your duck is unable to dunk her head and clear out the nasal passages, it can lead to serious health issues.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  3. tmulleady

tmulleady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2014
    Southwest Missouri
    He has his little pool that he dunks his head in, swims. etc. I was just hoping to come up with a water system that he can't make so yucky! He makes the one we have nasty pretty quick lol but I wasn't sure if he could actually drink from it or not.

4. KARy408

KARy408 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2014
    Livermore, CA
    Ducks make water yucky, that's just the way it goes. I keep 3 different waters in the run, along with my duck's pool, just to try and keep the damage down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by