1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Watering with a nipple waterer

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Knittycat, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Knittycat

Knittycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Bay City, TX
    My chicks started flipping their water dish over, and I didn't want a repeat of the last time I raised chicks where they got the cardboard wall of the brooder wet and then pecked their way to freedom. (Imagine chasing 10 3 week old chicks around the house. Yeah [​IMG])
    I'd read here on BYC about nipple waterers, and I figured I'd give that a go. I found brass ones here in town and attached one to a bottle cap.
    At first I worried they wouldn't figure it out and I'd have to figure something else out.
    I shouldn't have worried.

[​IMG]
    The first one approaches the new shiny

[​IMG]
    The others come to see what's going on

[​IMG]
    Hey! It's WATER!

[​IMG]
    Make room! Make room!

[​IMG]
    I think I should have been more worried about them trampling eachother for a turn at the new 'toy'

2. countrygoddess

countrygoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh! I love it--so cute!! I'm going to do nipple waterers for my chicks this year, too, and I'm going to try putting some in the bottom of a 5 gallon food-grade bucket to use in my chicken hoop coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by