Watermelon and baby chicks

Quote:
my ckickens love watermelon but will not under any circumstances eat carrots
idunno.gif

Mine will run for you if they think your going to give a carrot to one of the horses... They want all the carrots!
yippiechickie.gif

I'm getting envious!! my chicks won't eat anything but their feed and dry oatmeal... we've tried banana, strawberries, blueberries, applies, and yogurt.... NOTHING!! they're 2 weeks and roosting and flying around etc. I was really hoping to try to get them to try other things but I guess not yet!
sad.png

they seem really hot so I want them to enough water. Thanks!!

If they are thirsty they will get water, and enough of it as long as it is there. Watermelon has water in it, but that is not why they eat it. Most chickens eat all kinds of melons,
even the rind, although their diet desires change as they age. Most chicks less than 8 weeks old don't seem to have the desire for scratch that grown chickens do.​

Mine didn't care much for water mellon not sure why....they love greapes and oats....oh and crikets can make some of the best keep away games ever!!!
lau.gif

Quote:
If they are thirsty they will get water, and enough of it as long as it is there. Watermelon has water in it, but that is not why they eat it. Most chickens eat all kinds of melons,
even the rind, although their diet desires change as they age. Most chicks less than 8 weeks old don't seem to have the desire for scratch that grown chickens do.

Watermelon does seem to be very refreshing on a scorching hot day for our little fuzz butts, 24/7 water access or not. My lot will scamper for it and run each other over in an attempt to get the "choice" spot around the plate. However, mine turn up their little beaks at mangos.. but I plan to keep trying.

Mine eat watermelon both red and yellow. They will not leave the yellow until it is positively gone. Weird...they also will kill for scrambled eggs, clover greens, entrails from cantaloupe and pumpkin, and also hamburger.

We buy large crickets and jumbo mealworms from Petco too. Yea...their spoiled

I always cut the end of the watermelon like a bowl and once I'm done with it, the chickens get the 'bowl'. We have 4 little ones out in the yard now with their faces as far down as they can go to get all of it.

We're working on the yogurt and other items. The big girls like berries but the little ones haven't decided on those yet. Everyone loves bugs!

I have 13 five week old chicks in a variety of 'types' and they seem to like things if I pick off little pieces and let them get a good taste of what I'm introducing. They will peck at everything from my hand but not eat the new items. Things like baby kale or spinach, and now watermelon and berries, but when I pinch off a small piece they swallow it and I think this is teaching them how to peck off small pieces after they learn they actually like the things I introduce. I will have to make sure I don't hand feed them anything that is not good for them! It's interesting being the mama of 13 little critters who are learning from me. Thank God for google leading me to this site :) .

Back
Top Bottom