Watermelon Fun! (cute pics)

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Bridget399, Jun 21, 2009.

1. wendid1

wendid1 Songster

Apr 29, 2009
    North East Missouri
    My chickies ran from corn the other day. Can you believe that, corn. I tried to explain it to them but they were having no of it. I guess they only like their corn dried and ground in pellets.

2. nwgirl

nwgirl Songster

Mar 27, 2009
    Everett, Washington
    Adding watermelon to my chicken's grocery list [​IMG]

3. Bridget399

Bridget399 Songster

Apr 8, 2009
    South Western PA
    Thanks for all the comments!! [​IMG] The silkies really know how to chow down! [​IMG]
    It's just me and my husband, so for me to buy a whole watermelon was kinda pointless. But now that we have chickens, I can buy lotsa things that I didn't want to before because I know it won't go to waste.

4. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    BTW, if you live near a produce stand (not a supermarket), go and ask if they have produce that they can't sell because it was dropped or bruised, or maybe they cut open a watermelon for a display. This is the only way I get produce for my girls. I won't spend money on it when I can get it for free.

Yesterday DBF called me all excited: the produce stand next to his shop offered to give him as much as he could take. They said to bring a rubbermaid tote and they'll fill it with goodies for the chickens. We'll do that 2-3x/week and supplement it with their regular feed and (for the big girls) calcium.

I see some free eggs going their way at some point. [​IMG]

5. Bridget399

Bridget399 Songster

Apr 8, 2009
    South Western PA
    Quote:That is a wonderful idea! I hate wasting food (my waistline prooves it!) and the stand would prob otherwise throw it in the trash![​IMG] I bet your chickens LOVE it!!

6. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    They love it so much they get picky about what they want.

Lettuce? nope
    Greens? nope
    Veggies? nope
    Strawberries, tomatoes, watermelon? yes yes YES!

7. CaliWhiteGirl

CaliWhiteGirl Hatching

Jun 7, 2009
    That's so funny! My chickens like watermelon but are even crazier when given strawberries.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: