Watermelon ok for chicks?

PetChickenBoo

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jun 25, 2010
Pennsylvania
I'm new to raising chicks and this is my first set. Mine are a week and a half old and I was wondering if they could have a little bit of watermelon as a treat or are they too young?

Thanks!

hi i wouldnt feed them anything but chick starter the first few weeks they might be able to have some when they are fully feathered and grown a little bit
big_smile.png

I gave mine cut up watermelon for the first time when they were about 8 weeks old and living outside in the coop. They really enjoyed it and didn't have any problems with it. They really like strawberries too. Cantaloupe not so much. The absolute favorite so far is kale. And yogurt. I would agree with team edward that 1 1/2 weeks is a bit young. Good luck with your chicks.

Terri

There is a time coming (very soon) when they will look at you with disappointment if you don't bring something! Until then they are just excited to see YOU so I would work that angle as long as you can!
smile.png

We give watermelon to our pullets; they're 9, 10 and 11 weeks old. It's by far their favorite treat. Sometimes I give them rind but I like to cut off the end and give that piece to them. They gather around like they are at their feeder and peck it clean. It looks like a little cap when they're through. It's cool from the fridge and a nice treat on a hot Texas afternoon.

I don't think chicks are ever too young for treats
barnie.gif

Think about it~~~if those same chicks were being raised by their mother hen~~she'd be leading them to, and feeding them anything edible.
D.gif

Mine love watermelon too -- but they are big enough for grit, which is the big issue of your chicks not having foods other than chick starter too soon. Some people use parakeet grit for little chicks -- the rule there is that the grit not have calcium supplemented, which is hard on their kidneys. Also, their diet should consist of not more than 10% treats. Like any other little kids, if they get into candy and crap they will not want to get the "good for them food".

But when they are ready for treats, they can have just about anything except potato peels and nothing ever with mold on it.

And now we need pictures of these little dumplings.

Jenny

Back
Top Bottom