Waterproof coat?

Cottage Poultry Hutch, 6 Chicken Capacity from tractor supply. It only really says asphalt roof, high quality wood, UV-resistant high-gloss paint. I am in NC and it can be humid here. Doesnt get super cold but I just thought maybe the coop would need more protection against long term rot or god knows. New to chickens so trying to plan ahead.
If you haven't assembled it yet, take it back for a refund and do more research about the kind of space chickens need in your climate.
They say it holds 6 chickens, but the dimensions they give are rather confusing and don't quite 'add up'.
Most all of these prefab coops are inaccurate as to population and not well designed at all.

the one below from tractor supply - Cottage Poultry Hutch, 6 Chicken Capacity. I dont have any yet but plan to have 4-6 (all bantams)
That is one teeny tiny little coop even for bantams. Do you have a small shed or something else that you can convert into a coop. Even part of a shed?

I thought it sounded big, maybe they messed up the dimensions. I am so frustrated at this moment. I havent put it together yet
It's not. It's teeny tiny.
You are new to chickens and got suckered by the misinformation that is notoriously associated with those gerbil huts.
It is built with inferior wood, it's WAY too small (full size chickens need 3.5-4 sq ft of floor space per bird and bantams need at least 2 and this space does NOT include the nest box area), it doesn't have nearly enough ventilation and isn't predator proof.
I bought a second hand one once to use temporarily as an integration coop before I built my current coop. When I was done with it, I stored it at the side of my garage. Less than 18 months later it was falling apart. I literally pushed/pulled it apart with my bare hands just trying to load it into my trailer to take it to the dump.
I would return that coop, don't open the box and certainly don't assemble it. I'd put a match to sooner than I'd put a paintbrush to it.

Come on folks it's small, I believe they get it no need to go quite so far with it. They came for help and has only gotten ridicule. We've all been there at one point. If it's possible return it and do a lil shopping around of build or have something built. Don't get frustrated. Good luck

Come on folks it's small, I believe they get it no need to go quite so far with it. They came for help and has only gotten ridicule. We've all been there at one point. If it's possible return it and do a lil shopping around of build or have something built. Don't get frustrated. Good luck
No one's been ridiculed.
The coop has been ridiculed!
Not being familiar with chickens they got taken by the false advertising associated with these coops.

The coop is on the small side and it uses tongue and groove in the build which even with good quality wood is a problem when cleaning for parasites. I think, assumeing you are new to chickens that it would do in the short term. It's the run size that is more important if you are not ranging the birds in your garden/yard/farm.
If you find you enjoy chicken keeping then it won't be long before the coop will show it's shortcomings and you'll be looking for something else.

I don’t know of any clear coat for exterior or interior paint. I would paint in the color you want it to be. Looks white with trim painted aqua. You can get the paint color sample palets at a paint store. A gallon of white Will be more than you need for the white or whatever you go with and a quart of trim paint for the trim.

Back
Top Bottom