Waterproof sealant for wood coop?

RosemaryDuck

Crowing
Dec 15, 2020
Florida
Hey all! So I'm working on another outside coop. It's already finished, but it's currently indoors since I don't want it getting wet. I need a sealant to put on it to protect it from the very frequent florida rains and humidity. All of the ones I've looked at seem pretty toxic. I'm worried about fumes/the birds pecking or eating it off the wood. What's a good, safe sealant to use?

You know what I used with great success? The waterproofing compound that you put under tile installations. I had some left over after a bathroom remodel. Slapped a couple of coats on, let it dry, and painted over it with latex paint. It worked great! I could wash that thing off with a hose.

I was curious, so I actually coated a cardboard box with some and filled it up with water. It held for weeks. It probably would have held longer, but I dumped it for fear of mosquitoes making it a breeding ground.

You know what I used with great success? The waterproofing compound that you put under tile installations. I had some left over after a bathroom remodel. Slapped a couple of coats on, let it dry, and painted over it with latex paint. It worked great! I could wash that thing off with a hose.

I was curious, so I actually coated a cardboard box with some and filled it up with water. It held for weeks. It probably would have held longer, but I dumped it for fear of mosquitoes making it a breeding ground.
Oh, huh. I would of never thought to use that for wood! Do you recall at all what it was called? Or a brand? I'm gonna go tomorrow and wander around home depot and see if they've got something like it.

It ain't cheap, but I got it at HD. I think it's called Red Guard. It's like $50 for a gallon! But I figure it's worth it if it prevents early demise. But there are other brands that might be cheaper. I was thinking about something like Flex Seal or something like that for the duck house I'm building now.

It ain't cheap, but I got it at HD. I think it's called Red Guard. It's like $50 for a gallon! But I figure it's worth it if it prevents early demise. But there are other brands that might be cheaper. I was thinking about something like Flex Seal or something like that for the duck house I'm building now.
I was just looking at flex seal 😂. It's a decent price and I've heard good things about it. My only problem is finding out if it's toxic. I'd hate to go through all this after building a new coop, add the girls and have them all drop dead from the sealant 😵.

We used a oil based wood sealant/stain for ours for easy cleaning. Local brand, otherwise I'd list it. They do sell some at home depot though. We used a pump sprayer to apply it. We let it dry for a while before putting anyone in. Seems to clean nice. We've only been using it about a month though. No poop sticks, so I appreciate that.

Edit to say I researched and saw lots of people using stuff that I think seemed unsafe, but they all made a point to say let it dry, air it out etc. I think paid would worry me more as it chips. This soaks into the wood and protects it, not really something that comes out of the wood I think...but maybe I'm wrong?

Good ole paint. A good house paint for wooden coops. Think about it, your house is painted (unless it is brick) . Most good paint is good for several years, even in Louisiana or Florida. (I have lived in both)

There is a thread going on in the forum about someone's chickens eating the stucco off their house...
Everything rots so quickly in South Louisiana so I'll need some coating.
That's been my problem here too 🤦‍♂️. Tried having a porch for a while but all the furniture I set out rotted within a few months. It was a screened in porch too. The humidity is so bad here. Anything wood is pretty much instantly rotted and eaten by bugs...

Back
Top Bottom