Waterproofing inside of coop - toxicity

You mean externally, right? Not inside like I was originally talking about?
Another note, this is all treated plywood and 2x4s
I used patio paint inside for mine last week and it is very much water proof (spilt water in there before adding the bedding)

Attachments

• 2258C438-BE85-446A-92D0-218617FCD62B.jpeg
    2258C438-BE85-446A-92D0-218617FCD62B.jpeg
    395.4 KB · Views: 16
You mean externally, right? Not inside like I was originally talking about?
Another note, this is all treated plywood and 2x4s

I used regular house paint on the outside....good enough for my house good enough for a chicken house.

Inside I used regular latex on the walls and porch and floor on the floor. I use pine shavings as bedding. I scoop it all out twice a month with a big plastic feed scoop. That means I am scraping the floor with a big scoop. So far no chipping, peeling or degredation.

Spilled water does not soak in, any poo that makes it to the paint scrapes off easily.

I have not found a need to hose the coop out.

I think that it would be a mistake to put too much effort into waterproofing anything but the roof because you want the coop to be able to breath. Keeping things dry requires the ability to let moisture out. :)

If one MUST seal the wood....porch and floor paint is designed to be out in the weather.

5++ years on the floor of my big coop and I am a believer.

I'm a great fan of barn paint.

It's designed to go onto rough wood without need of priming or other preparation -- my kind of painting because I hate painting.

I think that it would be a mistake to put too much effort into waterproofing anything but the roof because you want the coop to be able to breath. Keeping things dry requires the ability to let moisture out. :)

I'm a great fan of barn paint.

It's designed to go onto rough wood without need of priming or other preparation -- my kind of painting because I hate painting.

No priming needed with the Behr paint and primer in one.

I painted for 2 reasons.
No place for creepy bugs to hide when things are caulked and painted.
Brightness....an unpainted coop is rather dark inside.

For air....I put windows...lots of windows and open sofits.

Back
Top Bottom