Waterproofing Problem in Duck

Muscovy Man

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 5, 2009
Paonia, CO
One of my male Muscovy Ducks, Ping, is having problems repelling water off his feathers (water isn't sliding off his feathers the way it should) when he takes a bath
hmm.png
. Once he gets out, he is soaking wet and it takes him a long time to dry his feathers. Also, I am concerned about the cold, since it is going to be winter in a month
sad.png

Do any of you have suggestions about what I should do?

Actually it's probably just his old feathers being worn from being, well, worn for a year! They are notoriously ugly this time of year! I'm surprised he's not molting, most of my birds are about 1/2 to 3/4 through their molt for the year.

Feeding a good quality feed with BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) is a good idea to help improve feather quality.

How old is he? I agree with muscovy. My oldest drkae ( 10 ) and oldest duck ( 2 ) have problems with repelling water sometimes. Just have to boost up the feed quality and make sure they get their own bucket.

He is almost a year old now. Also he is a pure white Muscovy and he has yellow patches on his feathers (I think it is from rubbing his oil gland and then getting it elsewhere on his body.) But what do you think?

I will try out your suggestion on the sunflower seeds though and yours too Goat_Walker
wink.png

Last edited:
This is molting time? I had no idea, it makes so much sense though, mine are shedding so much I was worried they'd be bald in a few weeks. And doogie's yellow patch has been explained to me now too. You guys are brilliant.
I hope your muscovy gets better, I wonder if anyone has invented a duck wetsuit?

My drakes are nearly all a horrible mess at the moment. They get soaking wet when it rains, don't dry out when they take a bath, etc. The ducks aren't so bad. I think it's just the time of year.

Back
Top Bottom